Updates to the Free Starter plan

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

UPDATE: We appreciate all the feedback after our original announcement regarding switching to the updated Starter plan. We hear you and we’ve since made some changes.

Customers coming from the legacy Starter plan will now continue to have unlimited saved charts, Projects, and Spaces on the new Starter plan.

You can find the details for both Starter plans below (and anything that’s changed since the original announcement is italicized).

Hi everyone! This post is for users who created an organization on the Amplitude free plan (aka the Starter plan) before 8/27/2023.

On 8/28/2023, we released a new version of the Starter plan to load our free plan with features (across analytics, experimentation, and audience management) that were previously only available on paid plans.

The table below can help you see what’s changed from the legacy to the updated plan.

Have thoughts on how these changes affect the way you use Amplitude? This is important for us to know, so please comment below or send me a DM.

Legacy Starter Plan Updated Starter Plan
Analytics

Limited to foundational analytics charts

• Segmentation
  • Funnels
  • Sessions
  • Retention
  • Stickiness

Foundational analytics charts, as well as:

• Session Replay 
    • 1k sessions per month
  • Journey analysis
  • Data Tables
  • Campaign reporting
Experimentation No feature flags

Unlimited feature flags & deployments

• Feature adoption insights
Integrations + CDP

Unlimited data sources & destinations

Unlimited data sources & destinations, as well as:

• Pre-defined cohorts
  • Audience targeting
  • On-demand syncs to 3rd party destinations
  • Real-time streaming
    • 500K events and user properties per month
With the updated Starter plan, you’ll also have access to:
Volume

50,000 Monthly Tracked Users.

• Admins can check your organization’s volume in Settings.
Chart Saves Unlimited saved charts for customers coming from the legacy plan.
Custom Formulas

Keep all your existing charts built with custom formulas from before you migrated.

• After migrating:
    • Existing formulas will be read-only. 
    • You can’t edit or create new custom formulas.
Custom Events

Keep all your existing custom events from before you migrated.

• After migrating:
    • You can’t edit or create new custom events.
Spaces Unlimited Spaces for customers coming from the legacy plan.
Projects Unlimited Projects for customers coming from the legacy plan.
Data Retention

You can query on the last 12 months of data (on a rolling basis)

• After migrating, if you have more than 12 months of data:
    • We won’t delete the data.
    • You can’t query anything older than 12 months.

If you’re ready to switch to the updated Starter Plan, an Admin can initiate a migration in Settings.

Or, if you think your organization has outgrown the free Starter plan, check out the Plus plan. Starting at $49/month for 1,000 MTUs, Plus is designed to grow with startups and small teams. Gain access to everything in the current Starter plan and additional functionality, including:

• Custom behavioral cohorts

• Custom formulas

• Custom events

• Two years of data retention

• Online support

• …and more 🤯

20 replies

Hello, When will this change take place?

Badge

Hi Tany!

An Admin can proactively migrate in Settings. Otherwise, we're communicating any migration cycles over email and in-product.

If you have questions about your organization, please email us at franciska@amplitude.com with your Org ID and we'd be glad to help.

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I just have a question on pre-defined cohorts - what will the criteria for definition of cohorts be? Are they generic, or tailored in any way?

Thanks!

Am I right in understanding that custom events will be entirely removed from the starter plan? Will that include the auto-generated SDK that’s attached to these events?

Badge

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I just have a question on pre-defined cohorts - what will the criteria for definition of cohorts be? Are they generic, or tailored in any way?

Thanks!

Hi Younes!

The pre-defined cohorts include cohorts for:

• All active users in the last 30 days
  • 14 day user retention
  • New users in the last 30 days

(If you’re curious to see what’s possible with more customized cohorts, you can still build them to explore the functionality. But you’ll not be able to save the cohort on Starter as access to custom Behavioral Cohorts begins on Plus.)

You’re welcome to reach out to our team at franciska@amplitude.com if you’d like to dig into cohort functionality further.

Badge

Am I right in understanding that custom events will be entirely removed from the starter plan? Will that include the auto-generated SDK that’s attached to these events?

Hi Yash!

Custom events are indeed moving to the Plus plan. But if you have custom events already, you’ll continue to keep them after migrating to the updated Starter pan. (You will be limited on editing them or creating new ones).

Whereas custom events are events built in Data based on pre-existing events, Amplitude OOTB events (including SDK events like Start Session, End Session, Page Viewed, etc.) are not considered custom events.

If this doesn’t quite clear up your question, please reach out to our team at franciska@amplitude.com and we’ll take a closer look at the events.

Hi there,

Do those 10 Saved charts include draft charts?

How are Saved charts counted throughout my organization: all charts including personal charts or only shared charts in organizational space? For example one and only user has 8 charts in personal space and the organization has another 5 charts in shared space, how many charts will remain accessible for editing?

Thanx!

Badge

Hi there,

Do those 10 Saved charts include draft charts?

How are Saved charts counted throughout my organization: all charts including personal charts or only shared charts in organizational space? For example one and only user has 8 charts in personal space and the organization has another 5 charts in shared space, how many charts will remain accessible for editing?

Thanx!

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for the great clarifying questions!

Draft charts, including edits that have not been saved, do not count as saved charts.

Any saved charts within your organization, whether they are personal or shared, count toward the saved chart limit.

In your example, that organization has 13 saved charts. You can continue to edit existing charts or create new charts. After migrating: To save a additional chart (either a “save as” for an existing chart or “save” for a new chart), you will need to delete excess charts until you are under the 10 saved chart limit.

If any of that is unclear, please just let our team know here or over email (franciska@amplitude.com).

Can anyone answer the question above?

Please...

Badge

Can anyone answer the question above?

Please...

Hi Lucac,

Thank you for reaching out- I know the threads here can be tricky to navigate!

An Admin can proactively migrate in Settings. Otherwise, we're communicating any migration cycles over email and in-product.

If you have questions about your organization, please email us at franciska@amplitude.com with your Org ID and we'd be glad to help.

Best,

Maddie

Hello! My organization created before 8/27/2023, but Session Replay is unavailable. Why?

Badge

Hello! My organization created before 8/27/2023, but Session Replay is unavailable. Why?

Hi Andrey!

Session Replay is available on the updated Starter plan (released to organizations created after 8/28/2023).

If you’d like to switch to the updated Starter Plan, an Admin can initiate a migration in Settings.

Best,

Maddie

One question: In my current starter plan I have 10M/month of events streaming limit. Will this limit be mantained in the new plan ? Pls provide details.

Badge

@Esther Trapadoux I have self-initiated migration from the legacy Starter plan to the new Starter plan, however we are having issues now and we cannot save charts. However, in your message above it says

Chart Saves

Unlimited saved charts for customers coming from the legacy plan.

How can we resolve this issue?

Regards

Badge

@Esther Trapadoux I have self-initiated migration from the legacy Starter plan to the new Starter plan, however we are having issues now and we cannot save charts. However, in your message above it says

Chart Saves

Regards

Hi Aleksandra,

Thank you for letting us know and sorry for the trouble!

Would you please email us at franciska@amplitude.com with your Org ID so we can take a closer look?

Best,

Maddie

Badge

Hi @Maddie Fitz, I have sent an email to franciska@amplitude.com just now.

Badge

@Maddie Fitz my issue has been resolved. Many thanks!

Chart Saves

Regards

Hi Aleksandra,

Thank you for letting us know and sorry for the trouble!

Would you please email us at franciska@amplitude.com with your Org ID so we can take a closer look?

Best,

Maddie

Hey @Maddie Fitz I’m facing the same issue with my org account.

Badge

Hey @Maddie Fitz I’m facing the same issue with my org account.

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for letting me know! Please email us at franciska@amplitude.com with your Org ID and then we can update your account.

Best,

Maddie

Badge

One question: In my current starter plan I have 10M/month of events streaming limit. Will this limit be mantained in the new plan ? Pls provide details.

Hi Paulo,

On the new Starter plan, you’ll have 500K events per month to stream. Once you reach 500K events streamed, your streaming will be paused.

If there are opportunities to audit/clean up what you're currently streaming, this may be a good time to do so! We’d also be glad to talk with you about other plan options that include more event streaming. If you’re interested, please email us at franciska@amplitude.com.