Solved

What should be the approach to track push notifications?

• 21 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello! We have a mobile application with push notifications provided by Firebase. I’m trying to find some information about using Amplitude with push notifications.

What I’d like to do:

1. Track push sends events via server-side API
  2. Track push notification clicks (is it even possible?)
  3. Track opens from push notifications (it is implemented yet)

I was trying to implement 1st before but I faced a problem that all users become “active” users because of server-side events. So, I saw them in DAU but actually they were offline, I just send an event that the push was sent.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to exclude server-side events from counting of the DAU?
  2. Is this approach good?

Thanks a lot,

Stan

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 21 July 2021, 18:11

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @sshvaika 

Amplitude recommends sending events like push-notifications or email sent to your end user as server-side events.

The easiest and most common way to tackle your problem is to mark such events ( which aren’t tied to a direct action performed by the user ) as “Inactive” so that they don’t count towards your DAUs. Setting an event's activity status to inactive will remove that event from any dashboard metrics counting active users and active events. 

You can read more about marking your server-side events as inactive here

Hope this helps!

Badge

Hey @sshvaika 

Amplitude recommends sending events like push-notifications or email sent to your end user as server-side events.

The easiest and most common way to tackle your problem is to mark such events ( which aren’t tied to a direct action performed by the user ) as “Inactive” so that they don’t count towards your DAUs. Setting an event's activity status to inactive will remove that event from any dashboard metrics counting active users and active events. 

You can read more about marking your server-side events as inactive here

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! It really helped.