Solved

Sum properties of different events and group by properties with common values but different names.

• 15 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello!

Let’s say I have two events:

•  “A” - with properties
    • name” - text type
    • price” - numeric type
  • “B” - with properties
    • corp” - text type
    • value” - numeric type

With segmentation, I can sum the “price” property of “A” and group by the “name”, so I get the total “price” by “name”
I can do the same for “B”, sum the “value” property of “B” and group by “corp”, so I get the total “value” by “corp”.

However, I wonder if there is any way of combining these groups, as “name” and “corp” present common values. 

So I want to get something like: (total “A - price” + “B - value”) by union of (“A - name” + “B - corp”), is it possible with Amplitude?

I kind of can do it with Formula = PROPSUM(A) + PROPSUM(B), however, this returns the totals by the common values of “name” and “corp”, but I would like to have the union of “name” and “corp”. 

icon

Best answer by jarren.patao 16 December 2022, 23:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @José Bianchi, your approach here is really good with custom formulas if you’re on a Starter plan. This will allow you to pull an aggregate count of those properties, but as you’ve mentioned this would be the total of those values so it may not be the accuracy you’re looking for.

Alternatively, our paid customers who have access to our Govern Add-on have the ability to create derived properties which allows you to create a property based on special logic that we’ve created on our end. You can read more about this here: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058731292 

Hi @jarren.patao, thanks for the answer! 

I am failing to notice how the Governor Add-on would help here.

The issue is that it is showing the results only for the common values of properties of different events.

Let’s say the property “name” from event A has 3 possible values = [“enterprise0”, “enterprise1”,”enterprise2”] and the property “corp” from event B has 3 possible values = [“enterprise1”, “enterprise2”, “enterprise3”]. When I use the formula = PROPSUM(A) + PROPSUM(B) it shows me results broken down only for [“enterprise1”, “enterprise2”], but I would like to have the results broken down for the union = [“enterprise0”, “enterprise1”,”enterprise2”, “enterprise3”]. How the Governor Add-on would help me here?

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4

Derived properties allows you to essentially concatenate two properties from different events to query. For example, if I had a $price property that I’d like to add to some other event property of a different event like `load_time` then you could use Derived Properties. This is only available in our paid plans who have access to this add-on.

?name=Screen+Shot+2022-12-16+at+2.33.02+PM.png