Solved

Filter on user property incongruent with properties in export of user segment

• 8 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to figure out why events are firing for users with no user_type set.

Here we see 299 events where the user property was set as (none).

But when I export that user segment from this amplitude chart, every user has a user_type set.

eg

Any thoughts or insights into why Amplitude is showing 299 users with no user_type?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 10 April 2023, 18:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @alalpert 

Since Amplitude is an event based analytics platform, all charts and cohorts query at the event level. Charts will return the event property value at the time of an event. More on that here.

So it appears from your case that users don’t have the user property user_type set at the time of the Account Created event. You can validate this by going to any user stream and see if this value appears on the raw event for Account Created.

When you download the user segment csv, the user property in the column shows the most recent value of the given property, which is the user_type in your case. So between Mar 1 and Mar 31, all those 299 users would have been updated with some value of user_type.

Hope this helps.

I have a very similar question (and this is just an example, i am facing same issue all around Amplitude)

I have filtered out the users with email that contains “Markovml” (as they are internal users) and now in the chart when I go on to inspect the 7 users shown, 1 out of those 7 users is still MarkovML user with the email ID XXX@markovml.com. 

What am I missing here?

I have a very similar question (and this is just an example, i am facing same issue all around Amplitude)

I have filtered out the users with email that contains “Markovml” (as they are internal users) and now in the chart when I go on to inspect the 7 users shown, 1 out of those 7 users is still MarkovML user with the email ID XXX@markovml.com. 

What am I missing here?

I figured it out. Thanks :)