Derived Properties

Derived Properties

Sometimes a valuable customer metric is not captured explicitly in event data, but can be derived or inferred from existing properties. With Derived Properties in Govern, you can create new events and user properties on the fly, without having to update your instrumentation. You can perform manipulations and calculations and save the new derived property for new analysis without additional instrumentation work.

For example, say you may want to measure site visits by referrer URL, but group the values by domain. You derive a new property to strip the complete URL down to just domain and host information, like this:

This will convert a value like “https://www.google.com/search?q=amplitude” into just “www.google.com.” In addition, Derived Properties support mathematical, and nested operators.

I wish the math filters were smart enough to also work with string data types. Big blocker for me. 

Thanks for the feedback @Jacobt I’ve just forwarded it to the product team. 😁

I can see that in previous versions you could choose whether you want it to be user property or event property. I don’t see this option in my version. is this option gone or transferred to a different place?

Thanks for following up here @TamirAlmog. I’ve forwarded your note to the team who will get back to you 😁

Hello @TamirAlmog hope all is well! :) 

The Derived Property feature is actually it’s own section now similar to User Properties and Event Properties. You no longer have to choose user/event property when building/creating a Derived Property. They are at the same level as event/user properties as seen below.

This is how Derived Properties appear when building a chart.

Understood, thanks @eddie.gaona !

Hi, 

Can’t find Derived tab in UI, is this feature available for the Starter Plan? 

Hi @Alex rw derived properties are not available to the starter plan. This feature is available to growth and enterprise customers who purchase the govern add-on