Solved

User Properties or performed events in funnel charts - Does it apply to all events?

• 1 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Conversationalist
  • 5 replies

I am attempting to filter down a funnel chart using User Properties and Performed Events.

For the values that I set for the segments on the right side, how does it impact the events I select in the funnel chart on the left side.

Do these User Properties and Performed Events filters apply to:

1. First event in the funnel
  2. All events in the funnel
  3. All states of the user, including current state
  4. Final state of the user only, state during each event not important

For instance if my funnel is looking at people who start and complete a song but I am filtering by people who have not purchased music, does that filter apply to users who haven’t purchased before the point of the Start/Complete song events OR does it also apply to all users who purchase a song after completing the events in the funnel?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jmagg 3 February 2023, 00:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

No, user properties and performed events in funnel charts in Amplitude only apply to the events that are selected for analysis within the chart. The funnel chart analysis is limited to the events and user properties that are specified within the chart.

For more info, explore our funnel analysis FAQ in our help center - link

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jeremie Gluckman thanks for letting me know. If I could give you a more specific example:

Let’s say my funnel consists of:

1. Start Song
  2. Complete Song

If i set up a user segment that only looks at people who have not Purchased Song (Have performed PurchasedSong < 1)

If a user purchases a song between Starting and Completing a Song, will this user:

1. Show up in the top of the funnel (Start Song) but then disappear by the bottom of the funnel (Complete Song)?
  2. Be excluded from both events of the funnel entirely?
Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @tommy -- the criteria you set on the right hand side of the screen (circled in red) applies to only the starting event (step 1) within the funnel:

So to address your most recent question -- if a user purchases a song between Starting and Completing a Song, this has no impact on the funnel since that criteria of has not Purchased Song (Have performed PurchasedSong < 1) applies to only the starting event.

If you don’t want this, you can exclude users that perform PurchasedSong between step 1 & 2 (example below):

Does this help clarify?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for both answering my question and thinking one step ahead!