Solved

Mismatch in SUM displayed and the summing of events divided by day.

• 16 March 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m counting uniques performing event Application Installed.

In the data table, I see the sum of unique displayed in the first row does not match with the sum of its components. It is 122 # (55+46+14+8)=123.

What are potential reasons behind? Any directions I should follow to explore the causes of this mismatch?

Thanks everyone!

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 16 March 2023, 10:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn’t sum “uniques” across rows, the grand total is always de-duplicated for any unique users that appear in multiple rows.

In your example, you’ve got a de-duplicated total of 122 uniques in the first column, but when you add the rows it comes to 123. This suggests you have 1 unique user that performed your chosen event on 2 distinct dates (rows).

Hi @dangrainger, thanks for the response!
Indeed that was my initial hypothesis for this mismatch and I went to validate it by (1) selecting an user performing an action on 2 separate dates; (2) view unique count and userId list in the first day and the second day.

The result is that this user is only recorded as an unique user in the first day, not the second day. Therefore, I am quite sure that it’s not the case.