Skip to main content
Question

Filtering out internal users from the data

• 6 September 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I would like to filter out internal users from our product usage data (DAU, MAU, WAU etc.). How can I do this? 

Thanks, 

Krishnan

Hi there,

Thank you for your questions!
This is Liping Yin from Amplitude Technical Support Team. I am happy to help!

I understand that you want to filter out the internal users from your product data. We have an FAQ of Block and filter internal users that might help answer your question.

Here is a few ways that you can consider depending on your use cases:

**Option 1: Block or filter out these events.**
You can block all internal event data originating from your organization's IP address from ingestion into Amplitude Analytics. Your project's Data Filters page enables you to set up filters for this purpose. See more details on how to block or filter data.

Please note that you must be a manager or admin of your organization to add a data filter. Once you have this filter set up, all events sent from your list of IP addresses will be dropped upon ingestion. This filter will not work if you've modified Amplitude's SDK configurations to prevent the collection of IP addresses. It will only drop events that have a collected IP address string that matches the IPs you've blocked.

**Option 2: Create a user segment**
Internal user events can always be segmented out using the Segmentation Module of any Amplitude chart. Simply segment out internal users by user ID, device ID, Amplitude ID, IP address, or an identifiable user property (e.g. username or email).
You can easily save user segments and pin them to your charts so that you don't need recreate filters every time you want to use them. When you set a saved segment as your default, all new charts you create via the _Create Chart_ or _New_ button will have the default segment automatically applied. The applied filter will then be visible on your chart. See more details of how to create/save a user segment.

**Option 3: Create a behavioral cohort**
Your list of internal users can change over time, and maintaining this list can be time-consuming if your users do not share a common attribute. In these cases, you can take advantage of Amplitude's behavioral cohorts feature and import a cohort of internal users to block on Amplitude. This cohort can be applied to charts in a similar fashion to user properties. Once you've created a user segment that excludes your internal cohort, save and pin the segment for easy access. Behavioral cohorts can also be updated programmatically, so your cohort of internal users can be easily maintained. See more details of how to define a cohort.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
Liping Yin | Technical Support Engineer
Amplitude

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.