Solved

Using amplitude on our customer's website?

• 12 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone, is it ok to utilize amplitude on our client's website? Our clients integrate our widget into their sites, and we need to analyze the actions of their site visitors and their interaction with our widget.

icon

Best answer by Esther Trapadoux 13 April 2023, 10:20

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Ethan welcome to the community! Can you tell me a little bit more about your use case? And perhaps this solution might work for you.

Per our documentation on instrumenting Amplitude on a third-party site, linked here, you should be able to instrument the SDK or use webhooks to track data to Amplitude via a third-party website.

*Please note, that the you would need to leverage your dev team to help install the SDK or configure the webhook on the third-party site.

Let me know if this is the information you were looking for or if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Esther

Thank you so much I just sent you a DM!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Ethan Thanks! Replied to your DM but also posting the answer here for others to benefit.

And yes, we do have other customers where a user might go into your product through a widget/iframe.

You can load Amplitude JS SDK inside the iframe and then send logEvent calls like you would on your main domain.. The issue is most likely how you can persist the device id so that the user actions are tied together.

At the moment we are persisting the device id by:
1. Creating an iframe on the page which points to a domain you control
2. Load Amplitude inside of the iframe
3. Communicate with the iframe using cross-domain messaging
4. Receive events inside the iframe and persist the device id on the domain you control

https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003135607#h_f717e48c-460c-4a17-abd7-102327673798

If the iframe you are referring to does not point to a domain you control, then you could possibly set a logEvent call to when a user clicks on that link.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Esther

Thank you so much for the detail!