Solved

Unable to setup a GCS Import

• 25 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Dear Amplitude community & support team,

Recently, I have been trying to setup a Google Cloud Storage (GCS) file Import into Amplitude, in order to add an event based on our internal DB onto our Amplitude instance.

For this, I followed the GCS Import tutorial in the documentation’s page (found here), and so did the following:

• First of all, I’m working on a Dev GCP environment + Dev instance of Amplitude for this setup
  • The GCS Bucket as well as the Service Account with the appropriate permissions have been created
  • I then followed the instructions in the “Add a new GCS source” step, and manged to create my Source, which now appears in the “Sources” page of my Amplitude instance.
  • However, after this, when I try to Edit the Import Config, I am running into the following error:

On my GCS Bucket, I have put a test file (of the json.gz format), both in the root of the folder given in the previous step, and also following the folder structure required by the “Storage organization requirements” step (link here). But even with that, and given the very simple regex pattern I gave (I also tried with a more complex regex pattern following the organization requirements), I always get the error above.

Is it normal?

In the screenshot above, the following sentence can be seen:
    Specify the type of the data files and a regex pattern to match the file names in the S3 bucket.
    Is it only a typo, or is it a bug and could be the reason why my GCS bucket is not found?

Also, I noticed that in the “General” tab of my GCS Source, the Bucket & Prefix do not correspond at all to my GCS bucket and the information I gave in the “Add a new GCS source” step; plus, it is mentionned that “Source has not been scanned yet”, even though I set it up to hourly and waited for a few hours already. Is this behavior expected?

More generally, is there a step at one point that I missed in the configuration of this Source? Or is it because the feature is still in Beta and there are bugs to be expected?

If someone from Amplitude’s support team could get back to me, or someone from the community that already managed to do a GCS Import Set up could provide me some pointers, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Denis Holmes 2 November 2022, 10:32

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Frédéric Le Roux ,

Thanks for writing in. Can you let me know your Org ID that you are working with and which Project ID this is for? I can then look into this in more detail and see what the issue might be. Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Denis

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Frédéric Le Roux, How’s it going? Wanted to check in and see if you’ve made any progress here. Please keep us posted!😃

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jeremie Gluckman ,

This was resolved! After a couple of hours, it seems to now be working! It might be worth explaining in the article the steps a bit better in the documentation, especially the fact that one has to Edit the converter file before anything else, and that this can be done by clicking on the "Next" button (which is a bit counter-intuitive). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Amazing! Thanks for closing the loop @Denis Holmes! 😃

Confirming what @Denis Holmes said!

Either the documentation or the UI was not very clear to me: clicking on “Next” button first in the “Edit the converter file” setting page is a bit counter-intuitive

But thanks a lot for the support and reactivity, much appreciated! 

I’m running into this same issue, if anyone is able to help like @Denis Holmes or @Jeremie Gluckman 

Org ID

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out here @jamesjaeschke. Somehow I missed your note. Forwarding it to the team now. We’re here to help! 😁