Solved

Mapping event data from Snowflake into amplitude (Preserving device info)

• 16 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Hey there!

I’m attempting to pull in historical event data previously captured with segment into a new amplitude project so that we can analyze usage on web vs. mobile.

I’ve successfully connected snowflake into amplitude, but I am unsure how to structure the query as as to preserve and correctly pass in the user agent data.

I have a field called context_user_agent in snowflake which contains the raw data passed in from segment data formatted as such: 

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/103.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

What field should I map this to in amplitude to be able to use the amplitude functional of segmenting on “platform” for instance?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 16 November 2022, 19:17

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @alalpert 

From what I know, the Snowflake import doc doesn’t directly mention this field except for the mandatory fields required for importing data.

From my conversations with the Snowflake Ingest team, I think that their snowflake ingest pipeline leverages their batch event upload API internally ( I could be wrong here ).

So the best bet would be to parse your user agent string to the appropriate platform values ( iOS, Web,etc ) and try setting that as the ‘platform’ property / column in your snowflake import query.

You can take cues from this event load.

Let me know if this works out.