Question

How to configure user and group identification?

• 7 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hey!
We are using Accounts add-on and started sending several events, but I am struggling to visualize these in Amplitude.
Here is a summary of our set-up:

1. We track users events, users are part of a group called “Customer”
  2. For the $identify event we send the following properties:
    1. groups: {Customer: "e11cffc6"}
    2. user_id: 123
    3. event_properties: {Environment Type: "Production"}
  3. For the $groupidentify event we send the following properties:
    1. group_properties: {$set: {Customer Name: "IKEA"}}
    2. groups: {Customer: "e11cffc6"}
    3. user_id: 123

Questions:

1. Did we configured the group analytics properly? As you can see, we added the Customer Name property only for the $groupidentify event and therefore you can’t tell the customer name in the User Lookup page.
  2. We would like to see how many Page View events were created per customer. Should we use Segment by users or customers option? Why do I get different results for each selection?

2 replies

Hey @Aviv Tsumi , did you ever get this figured out? I think I am looking to do something similar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Aviv Tsumi 

1. If you are seeing your group type i.e. Customers in the “Segment by” dropdown, then your instrumentation is more or less correct. I would further check any of your ingested raw events and validate if you are populating the "group_properties": { } and “groups”  key values correctly as per your instrumentation.
  2. The results between Users and Customers would be different since Amplitude will compute your metrics accordingly and display results based on the selected aggregation level - either user level or customer level.