Solved

Events and Deafult Event Properties Naming

• 7 October 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m working in a SaaS company, which has a highly flexible product. 

I’m struggling with creating the most suitable, clear, and consistent naming convention. 

Here is the current event format

objectAction 

• Object is the product section
  • Action is the user action, i.e clicked, activated,marked (for checkmarks), added and more. 

Default Event Properties

logicalName - what is the action logic i.e templateCreated

Path - contains tab name or any other section within the location

The issue is that every action can be preformed from multiple parts of the product. 

For example: 

Button 1 (Add new), can be clicked from all parts of the product. 

Button 2 (Create new) can be used only when number 4 is selected. 

Additionally, I would like to track user actions that differ per tab (number 3).  

What are your suggestions for creating such a logic? 

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 6 November 2023, 17:18

View original

2 replies

I would appreciate any help here!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Jonathan Shahar 

If the same action can be triggered from different parts of the app, then using an event property which identifies that app section location is one of the common approaches.

Some prefer to include the specific location in the event name ( e.g. “ Button1 Clicked in Tab4” ) and this approach helps in certain charts like Pathfinder/Journeys. But comes at the cost of creating unique event names against your limit.

Another approach would be to logically name the CTA button to include context ( e.g. New Job Created ) if the “jobs” tab is the go-to source of creation. So it really depends how you want to query your business logic against the available charts and ease of instrumentation for your dev team.

Hope this helps.