Solved

Event deletion without losing dashboards

• 18 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge
We are struggling to figure out how we can meet our contractual obligations to our clients in deleting event data from Amplitude once the client offboards, and it appears so far that the only option is to delete the entire project and reload the scrubbed event data afterwards.  We are looking for another solution and not finding it.

In this link to an Amplitude community post, there is a line that says

1. For customers on the paid plans, you can explore our Data Sanitization Service (paid offering), which scrubs/removes selected data (e.g. PII) in Amplitude. 
Wondering what that Data Sanitization Service is, as there appears to be no further information on the Amplitude site about it.  

Related question:  is there a data retention policy that can be set, where event data older than a certain date would be removed?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 22 January 2024, 23:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Renee Cooper 

The Data Sanitization Service maybe something which is available only on a case by case basis from the Amplitude Support Team. You can reach out to them to learn more on that.
I have used their help in the past to selectively block data ingestion from a couple of rogue user ids since this isn’t something readily available in the UI.

For data retention, you can explore their TTL configuration - https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/ttl-configuration/

Badge

Thank you -- I think we don’t have much we can do but go in and delete hundreds of thousands of users with the Delete api, so that their events get removed.  Thankfully some clients don’t have that many users yet, but I’m hoping we can also put in a TTL so we can at least limit the count of users we have to scrub later.  Or figure out if cross-project dashboards & views are available so that we can segregate clients into different projects.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Are you keeping your different clients data in the same project?

Badge

Unless the Product team can easily combine the data across 13+ projects for unified analytics, we have to at this time.  I imagine it would make creating dashboards very difficult (which is what we use Amplitude for: self-service analytics for our Product team)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It’s a paid add-on - https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002750712-Portfolio-Conduct-cross-project-analysis-in-Amplitude.

And yes, I have had my fair share of difficulties in maintaining some dashboards using portfolio views.