Solved

Error Setting Up Snowflake Destination, despite successful test

Any idea how to troubleshoot this issue?

I am trying to set up snowflake as an event destination, Everything works as expected until I get to the finish step of the integration. When I click “Finish” I get a non descriptive error message saying there was an error when trying to initiate the export. When I exit the flow, there is no destination set up in the destinations tab.

icon

Best answer by belinda.chiu 5 May 2023, 20:24

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for reaching out here @vic When setting up the Snowflake Export, you will need to keep these things in mind for authorization. In the Snowflake Credentials For Amplitude section, enter the following information:

• Account Name: This is the account name on your Snowflake account. It's the first part of your Snowflake URL, before 'snowflakecomputing.com'
  • Warehouse: The warehouse Amplitude uses to load the data. Ideally, this should be a warehouse dedicated to loading Amplitude data to prevent other Snowflake operations aren't disrupted.
  • Database: The database where the data should be stored. Similarly, this database should also be dedicated specifically to Amplitude data.
  • Username: The username Amplitude uses to connect to the Snowflake account.
  • Password: The password associate with the username 

These are case-sensitive so this can also cause incorrect credential warnings. 

Badge

@Jeremie Gluckman I am also receiving the same error. All the snowflake credentials are correct and I get success message. But on clicking Finish, I am receiving error. I checked the API call for that. There seems to be some internal error. 

API call on clicking Finish button

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for confirming @karnjot I’ll make sure this gets to our support team who can investigate if it’s a bug.

Badge +2

Hi @Jeremie Gluckman,

I'm experiencing the identical issue as detailed above. I double-checked the snowflake credentials and they are correct. The connection is successful, however when you click the 'Finish' button, an error appears. There is an urgent necessity for exporting data relating to that specific project, and it is currently not working.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for confirming @Mridul Sharma! I’m looping in @Esther Trapadoux as well for visibility. 

Badge

Hi @Jeremie Gluckman, I was able to create Snowflake destination just now. But when I click on it to see the details, the below error pops up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Mridul Sharma @karnjot thanks for your patience with this. I’m checking on this with our engineers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@karnjot looks like our support team got back to you and the issue was resolved! @Mridul Sharma are you still seeing an issue?

Badge +2

@Esther Trapadoux Hi, I successfully navigated through the connection setup page. But now, the data export fails. Is this issue related to Snowflake? Because to my knowledge, the configuration seems to be correct. Also, in the past the setup was quick and I also exported events to the same warehouse that I am sending the data to right now.

Here’s a screenshot:

Badge

Hi @Esther Trapadoux, Amplitude is exporting data to Snowflake successfully for last couple of days. I am not facing any issues now. Thank you for the help. 

Badge +2

@Esther Trapadoux I tested the identical Snowflake configuration on another project and it worked perfectly, and the data was successfully exported.But, the project I want to export always fails. I believe something is wrong with that particular project. Is it repairable, or do I need to create a new project?

Data was successfully exported for another project which used the same Snowflake configuration as before
This is the failed export from the project that I need the data from

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Mridul Sharma thanks for the update, and sorry we haven’t resolved this yet. 😞 I’ve filed a bug report for the eng team to look into this. Can you also keep this thread or my DM updated to let me know if the issue persists or gets resolved on your side?

Badge +2

Hi @Esther Trapadoux ,

I made a new project and used the 'Batch API' to inject all of the events. The export continues to fail. I've discovered that the projects I created 2-3 months ago are still operational. However, the ones I recently constructed are having problems. It would be extremely helpful if it could be fixed as soon as possible because I require this data to be exported. I also noticed that there are a lot of empty ‘STAGING_EVENT’ tables after the export is failed in the snowflake database and I have to manually clear it out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Mridul Sharma thanks for the update and for continuing to make this work. I’ve filed a bug for the eng team to look into this. 

@Esther Trapadoux @Mridul Sharma  I believe I am having the same issue. My merged_ids exports properly but the raw events is failing. Connection settings are identical.

Badge +2

Hi @Esther Trapadoux,
any updates on the issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Mridul Sharma thanks for the follow up! I believe one of our tech support engineers reached out to get more details. @vic I’ll submit a request on your behalf as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Mridul Sharma and @vic ! Thank you for your patience. I believe your issues might be related to a recent bug we had with our Snowflake exports. 

We had an error that caused an issue with the deletion of these STAGING tables downstream. Typically you shouldn't see these STAGING_ tables in your Snowflake environment and we will systematically delete them automatically after processing. We’ve resolved the bug involved. Please delete any Staging tables available in your Snowflake environment and this should be a one time clean-up. Once you've deleted those tables, your team should access the tables prefixed with EVENTS_ and MERGE_IDS_ for the expected columnar formatted data. 

Another workaround would be to create a new Snowflake destination and enable both Merge ID(s) and Raw Events which should allow you to bypass the error experienced.

Let me know if you’re still experiencing issues with Snowflake data exports!

I am also experiencing this same issue @Esther Trapadoux - my credentials are correct and the test upload works successfully, but I get the “There was an error while initiating upload to Snowflake” error when entering a Data Destination. This is an urgent problem - how can I find a resolution?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @braidsocial ! For potential bugs, please submit a Support request via support.amplitude.com. Please select the form that matches to your plan type (if you are a paying customer, select Enterprise/Growth form; if you are a free customer, select Scholarship/Starter form) and fill out the fields accordingly.