Solved

Development environment for an existing project

• 20 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hello! I have a question about environments. When project was started we do not set ‘multiple environment’. This value was not selected when the project was created. Now I want to add a test environment. Is there a safe way to do this for an already running project?

icon

Best answer by franciskafyi 10 May 2023, 18:24

View original

8 replies

Badge +10

You can just create a new project and start sending events from your test environment to that project. You’ll have to keep in mind the date when you changed the setup when analysing any data in your main project. Hope that helps!

Bous pouvez créer un projet qui se base sur les trésors et les ressources naturelles qui respecte l'être humain et l'environnement.

Badge

Hi @timothy-permutable thank you for your answer! I wonder, can I add my new project (which was created as test environment from your advice) as a development environment for my main project ? (in settings of main project)?

Will I lost data from main project? I worry about it

Badge +10

Hi Gaka! I’m sorry I don’t really understand your question. But basically your setup could look like this:

• Production Project (in Amplitude) → take the API key and use this in your app’s production env variables
  • Development Project (in Amplitude) → take the API key and use this in your app’s development env variables

Try and ask again if I misunderstood :)

Badge

Hi! Yes, I meant can I attach the second project to the existing main project as its development environment? thus merge two existing projects under different environments. 
sorry if i'm misleading :)

Hi @timothy-permutable. I have the same question as @Gaka. We have accidentally used the default project for production. This default project does not have two environments but only one. My question is now: Is is possible to add an environment to an existing Project or is the only way to create a new project and somehow migrate all the existing data over?

Badge +10

Hi @T0FU ! I’m not an expert in the “environment” feature, so I think you better ask Amplitude’s support if it’s possible to add an environment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hey @T0FU, happy to help!

A Project in Amplitude should contain data for an individual app, product, or website that you'd like to track. Each Project gets its own unique API key and is meant to track a distinct product.

If you used the default Project as your production Project that’s totally fine – you can rename it and make it clear that it’s your <Prod> Project.

It’s ideal to have a separate Development Project for testing tracking. You can create a new Project under Settings → Projects and specify that the new Project is your <Dev> Project. 

I hope this answers your question!