Solved

Amplitude Data Entry Position Scam

• 9 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi. I applied to a posting for a Data Entry Admin position I found on FB. After discussing the position with the person whom posted it, I was given a phone number to a Ben White and was asked to message him. I msg'd him and he advised me to download Microsoft Kaizala for an immediate interview. My interview was with Sue Anderson. All very common names that are impossible to google and attach to the Amplitude team. After the text only interview, I was sent an offer letter that was extremely generic! Only the Amplitude logo. No company address, no advising phone numbers, no point of contact which I find highly suspect. The letter was signed by Kristina Johnson. Again, no email for Kristina, no phone number, no info at all. For a big company as this one, Id think the letters would be far more professional. But this is all new to me so maybe im wrong. But my intuition is far to great to sit and say nothing. Could someone please advise me on human resource practices with Amplitude. Also I do see a previous post regarding almost the same thing. If this is the case then Amplitude should really put out alerts regarding these scams. Is it legit or not? Upon reviewing jobs on the Amplitude website, i dont see any positions open for Data Entry Clerks at all. Please advise. Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by Esther Trapadoux 12 June 2023, 22:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@D Ro thanks for alerting us to this, definitely not something sponsored by Amplitude. I’m very sorry about this experience and have alerted our Human Resources team. 

Badge

Thank you for your feedback. 

Hello,

I am a recent immigrant to Canada and wanted to share an incident regarding a job vacancy at Amplitude that I came across on Facebook Messenger. I received a message from an individual who provided an email address, interview.amplitude@gmail.com, to set up a Google Chat interview. During the interview process conducted by a person named Jim WhiteHurst, I was eventually sent a cheque for $1000, supposedly to purchase essential software and a laptop. The cheque was issued by Amplitude Inc Canada. Subsequently, I was asked to purchase Visa gift cards worth $950 and provide screenshots of the front and back to transfer the funds to a vendor. I followed these instructions.

Today, I received a request to repeat the process, which raised suspicions and led me to decline. I attempted to find contact information on the official Amplitude website, but I was unsuccessful. That is why I am reaching out through your Community platform to report this matter.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Sincerely,

Atif Nasim Khan

Badge

Your first clue shouldve been fhe Gmail web address. Im not sure where you cashed the first check but you need to start doing damage control now considering the check will not clear. The gift card scam is one of the older scams now. Unfortunately the legality of the scams fall back on you. So Id immediately get with your bank and start filing notices with the Canadian government so your not getting caught up in check fraud. Good luck to you!! 

Thank you for your response. Instead of cashing the cheque, I deposited it directly through my bank app. I have retained all the chat records and copies of the cheques, and I intend to report this scam to my bank. 

Badge

Gosh friend, Im certainly sorry this has happened to you!! If you look, I made a complaint about a scam from a FB posting that I encounted as well with a fale Amplitude job post. Contact your bank immediately and report it. That way they do not come after you for fraud. Some Americans have faced jail time due to these horrific scams!! I wish you all the best!! Report this to any government society that Canada has to awareness can be brought to it.