Skip to main content

So in this example I have 2 names created after clicking “Add Source” and setting up a second HTTP API source

But after clicking into both of them, the contents of the setup instruction for both sources are the exact same. Going into the documentation for the HTTP V2 API doesn’t give me an answer on how to have the caller of the api differentiate between which source to go into either. Is it the plan.source?

This leads me to believe that as long as I call the api endpoint with the api key, regardless of whether I’m sending the event data from a terminal, or from a server, or somewhere else entirely, as long as I’m making an http call it will all be grouped together under the same “source”.

So why even bother setting multiple sources up in the same library if there’s no difference between them and thus no way for me to explicitly declare which source I want to hit?

EDIT: Ok after some light testing it seems that it was indeed plan.source that will help us differentiate between the two. But then I added some random values into plan.source and it ingested them just fine and showed up under source in events. So I’m still kinda confused why this is necessary.

Hello M,

Greetings! I hope you're having a fantastic day!

Naming SDK with _source names_ is for the usage of _Ampli CLI_, and you can find more details here. It seems there's a bit of a gap when adding HTTP API as a source via the _sources_ tab in Amplitude Data, which currently allows customers to add a source name. I'll definitely inform our product team about this potential improvement. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention!

-Eddie

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.