Solved

Transitioning to Amplitude from GTM and GA for user interaction tracking - Need guidance on optimizing tag setup

• 29 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

I currently have a product where I am tracking user interactions extensively using individual tags for nearly 290 elements such as buttons, important icons, checklist fields, and more. However, I have decided to shift to Amplitude for my user interaction tracking needs. I have a couple of questions regarding this transition and would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights from the community.

1. Transitioning tags to Amplitude:
   - Do I need to recreate each individual tag in Amplitude for tracking button clicks, page navigations, and other interactions? Or is there an optimal method or strategy available to streamline the process?
   - I want to ensure a smooth transition without duplicating efforts and efficiently utilizing the capabilities of Amplitude.

a new tracking system can be complex, and I want to make sure I optimize my setup while leveraging the features of Amplitude effectively. Any assistance, guidance, or resources you can provide to help me with this transition would be of immense help.

Thank you in advance for your valuable insights and support.

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 30 May 2023, 13:32

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Stawan k, happy to offer some advice.

First off, I’d be assessing whether you really need all 290 events as it sounds like you may have quite a lot of “micro-interactions” going on...things like buttons, checkboxes, etc. Generally speaking I’ve always found the Pareto principle applies with any tool implementation….80% of the value comes from 20% of the events. So given you’re clearly looking to migrate tool, this should be a prime opportunity to revisit your data schema and spring clean, so only truly useful data goes in to Amplitude. We did exactly that during our Amplitude build; things like button clicks, checkboxes, etc we don’t push in unless there’s a really distinct/ important need...for that type of data we instead lean on a simple heatmapping tool (such as Crazy Egg), it works nicely and means we don’t overload Amplitude with data that only gets used on rare occasions.

Regarding your question on the Amplitude tags, you don’t necessarily need a one tag to one event approach. Say, for example, you had 20 events, all of which have the same 5 event properties and general construct….you could just have a single Amplitude tag for those, coupled with a simple javascript to dynamically create the unique event names to pass into the tag.

Some useful resources below on data taxonomy in Amplitude, plus how to configure in GTM:
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000465251-Data-taxonomy-playbook-part-one-Getting-started
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/5447814048795-Data-taxonomy-playbook-part-two-Events-and-properties
https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/5447828227867-Data-taxonomy-playbook-part-three-Industry-specific-recommendations