Solved

Structuring analytics - multiple events or properties.

• 1 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m building out Siri Shortcuts in my app. There is currently one but I will be adding more. 

I’m trying to decide if I should have a single event that represents the invocation of a shortcut and then use a property to determine which shortcut.

Alternately, should I just have a separate event for each shortcut?

Any best practice suggestions I should follow?

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 3 April 2023, 13:33

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @JoeC 

Using a single event with the shortcut name as event property will be the best approach here.

e.g. Shortcut Used ( event property shortcut_name : ABC )

This will ensure easier querying and grouping by for your analysis as well as managing your event type limit.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I agree with Saish, but would add one further consideration...namely whether there are fundamental differences in the user journeys from the different shortcut types and whether easily seeing these is of clear use to you.

As an example, on our website we have search functionality for various different types of products (holidays, activities, etc, etc). I could have a “submit search” event coupled with a “product type” property...but instead I split these into unique events (“submit holiday search”, “submit activities search”, etc), and do similar for other events with the different products. The primary reason for this is that the subsequent user journeys are rather different, so having the events split out like this make Amplitude’s User Journeys and Pathfinder features much more usable/ powerful.

In your case I suspect the simplified “one event + property” approach will suffice, but do consider the above when planning this out 😀