Solved

Revenue event missing payload sometimes

• 28 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Some of our Revenue Events don’t have custom properties on the dashboard.

const customProperties = {"foo": "bar"};

const ampRevEvent = new amplitude.Revenue()
.setProductId(‘sale-id-0001’)
.setPrice(100)
.setQuantity(1)
.setEventProperties(customProperties);

amplitude.revenue(ampRevEvent);

This executes fine.

I realised that customProperties is thrown away by Amplitude (no present on the dashboard) when one of the property values is an Array:

const customProperties = {"foo": ["foo","bar"]};

In this case, the productId, price and quantity appears on the dashboard, but the properties don’t. 
Fair enough. This was fixed and array was JSON stringified before sending in to Amplitude.

Still, sometimes event properties are missing from the dashboard. How can I debug this? Is there a log somewhere for wrong requests? Why does Amplitude disregard the sent in payload?

I appreciate your help.

icon

Best answer by timothy-permutable 30 June 2023, 10:17

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

You can investigate payload issues within the Amplitude “Data” section - either by looking at the event or ingestion issues in the source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @mihaly 

Are you seeing these properties in any of the raw event payload from a user stream to begin with?

It says that if you are using the eventProperties parameter then “You will only be able to segment on these properties in the Event Segmentation chart.” 

Not quite sure if this is applicable in your case if your properties are visible in your raw events but not the property dropdown of your revenue chart.