Solved

Required versus Optional event property

• 6 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I want to set up some event properties that are used by many events, however I have noticed that I cannot have it set as required for some events, and optional for others.

When I change an event property to optional, it changes it to optional for all events.

Is it possible to have some properties be optional for some events, and required for others?

Did I hit a bug or a feature?

icon

Best answer by eddie.gaona 7 October 2022, 19:14

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @KatSharp hope you are having a good week!

This is where instances would come into play for Amplitude Data. You can go into the event properties tab and plan a new event property with the same name. The screenshot below is how it will appear after these steps are completed. You can then use one of them as required for the appropriate events and the other as optional for the other events.

You can see that the first instance has some events associated to it, we can make that property required and it will only affect those events. The other instance is still in the planned state which means data has not been ingested for it, but you will need to add the events that would have this optional instance of the property.

Userlevel 2
Badge

thanks, I also eventually figured this out by trial and error, however it was not obvious at all. I think the UX should be improved here.