Solved

Reduced eps reason with 'Too many devices with the same user ID.'

• 20 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello

We’ve recently started to trial Amplitude in our latest iOS release. We have four projects setup as environments and on a daily basis we’re looking at our Development environment as we build out our features which has been working well. From today, I’ve been unable to review any events on our User Look-Up after refreshing, logging out and clearing all of my chrome cache and logging back in. I’ve also tried this on Safari. I’ve worked out from looking into the Chrome Debugger Network view that I’ve exceeded the a quota.

{"reduced_eps_reason":" Too many devices with the same user ID.","code":429,"exceeded_daily_quota_users":{},"throttled_events":[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29],"throttled_users":{"kelvin.harron@vyprco.com":2},"error":"Too many requests for some devices and users","eps_threshold":2}

I have two questions.

1. How do I prevent this from happening? Can I clear out this user and reset the data? I log into different devices and simulators so there are many ids associated for development. This has inconvenienced the development team for today and I need to know if it’s going to be a recurring problem.
  2. How do I suggest a recommendation? If I wasn’t a technical user I would be raising a bug with the platform. I believe an error message telling the user this problem without having to go into the developer console would be a big improvement.

Thanks,

Kelvin

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 21 February 2023, 18:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @kharron-vypr 

AFAIK, though you are using the iOS SDK for ingestion, the underlying rate limiting approach Amplitude employs is the same throughout.

You can read through this doc to understand why and when this could happen

https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/analytics/apis/batch-event-upload-api/#toomanyrequestsfordeviceerror-properties

Looks like across the different simulator/devices which are attached to the same user_id, you are breaching the 500k limit of total events per rolling 24 hour period. Do you think you are generating that many events across your different devices/simulators in day?

You can try distributing your testing sessions across multiple user ids instead of just one to bypass this.

Hi @Saish Redkar thank you for your detailed response! That’s correct, I’m using the iOS AmplitudeSwift SDK.

I would be surprised if we were generating that many responses across all environments, considering we haven’t shipped event recording to our end users yet, only session recording which is handled by default. I’ll be sure to rotate the devices and accounts I use to avoid this in future. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for posing here @kharron-vypr. More info on user lookup and limits on data can be found in our help center. Let us know if you need some additional help reducing volume. 

This is how you can share product feedback: