Question

How to easily exclude session replay recording that starts on certain paths?

• 10 May 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Like most products, we get a ton of sign up page views, that don’t result in anyone signing up.

I want to exclude those from session replay recording. What is the best way to do that, to only start recording after sign up has been completed or after some point after sign up has been completed? It's not clear to me how to accomplish this without needing to add manual toggling of this in our codebase for session replay with `amplitude.add('sessionReplayTracking')` and `amplitude.remove('sessionReplayTracking')`

I would've expected an easier way to do this like with auto event capture: specifying some rules on paths that recording should not begin if a session starts there.

Am i missing something?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hello Trevin,

My name is Yosimy from Amplitude Support, happy to help!

You're correct in your understanding that you can use `amplitude.add('sessionReplayTracking')` and `amplitude.remove('sessionReplayTracking')` to manually control when session replay starts and stops. This is indeed the recommended way to exclude certain pages or sections of your site from session replay.

Here's how you can use these methods:

1. Call `amplitude.remove('sessionReplayTracking')` before a user navigates to the sign-up page to disable session replay while the user is on that page.
2. Call `amplitude.add('sessionReplayTracking')` after the user has completed sign-up and navigates away from the sign-up page to re-enable session replay.

You can find more information about this in the Amplitude documentation.

This approach gives you the flexibility to control session replay based on your specific needs. However, I understand that you're looking for a simpler solution. I will submit a feature request to the Product Development team on your behalf.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Yosimy

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.