Solved

Filter out/group page events with unique strings

• 8 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

We have a ton of Unexpected events generated from varying page views with unique strings attached that I can’t seem to clean out/block future.

I feel like it should be pretty simple to create a filter and auto block, but there is no way I can see to program a ‘contains’ in URL for filter configuration.

So some examples, I just want to filter out events with /app/chat/*/ and the like programmatically.

Or on the same notion, create a rule to group to 1 event based on a url path, i.e. /app/{UID}/goals/*/comments = Comment Viewed vs /app/{UID}/goals/*/home = Goal Viewed

fyi @Esther Trapadoux 

Sample of this undesirables:

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 9 November 2023, 02:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Colleen Cassidy 

Ideally, you should debug your instrumentation to check where these event names are created ( having unique url names ) and try to fix if possible.

If you are referring to block filters, then currently the filter config only supports the following options based on event name.

So “contains” won’t work here, but you can try with “starts with”.

If you want to manage this in event segmentation charts, then you can try creating a custom event filtered on the “Event Name” condition and name it accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi Saish, 
Our instrumentation is just sending events via Segment.

We are only actively using track calls on specific events and specific page calls on named Pages. We are not seeing these strings tracked in Segment as events, but they are coming in to Amplitude.

When I compare the Segment debugger to Amplitude unidentified events, there are a slew of long page urls coming in as events, when they are not identified as track nor page calls in our Segment implementation.