Skip to main content
Solved

Email address in user lookup

• 26 October 2022
  • 7 replies

I would like to have  User’s email in UserID . Can some one please help me with the steps to do it. 

The amplitude is integrated in Front End ( Angular ) with  JS code

7 replies

Badge +10

Hi! You can do this, just replacing wherever you currently sent your user id with an email address. However I strongly recommend against this. User ID works best when it doesn’t change, and users do sometimes change their email address. Email address is also more likely to cause data privacy issues. If you do want to have email address, consider adding it as a separate user property and keeping your current user id.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

+1 to Timothy’s reply.

Badge

Can I get any help of how to add the property ? I was trying to add but it’s not getting reflected in User lookup 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @cnikhil ,

You can add a user property to a profile with the Identify API here. It will show up in the events after that too. 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

yes but it doesn’t get added up as property in user lookup . Instead it just acts as normal key-value pair in user-property

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @cnikhil ,

1. Which User property pair is it? 
  2. Can you link the user?
  3. What is it you are currently seeing versus what do you expect?
  4. What is the user property name?
  5. What value did you expect on it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you are adding it as a custom user property, you shouldn’t expect to see that in the user lookup UI view as per the screenshot in your question.

The columns you see here are restricted to only certain default Amplitude properties which can be seen in the “Manage Columns” dropdown selection.