Question

Device type groups as property group

• 15 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello, we’re trying to get a consistent and easy to use view of device types, but not at the level that Amplitude uses in it’s event. Ideally we would like to see a breakdown of Desktop (Device type = Mac or Windows) vs Mobile (all others).

I tried to do this via Property Groups, however I noticed that Device Type and Device Family do not show up in the dropdown when I search for them.

We would like to group by this property in charts instead of having to make two separate events, one for desktop and one for mobile.

Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Eric HB 

Not sure I completely understood the ask here,  but for a breakdown between property values, a user composition chart will be useful. e.g.https://app.amplitude.com/analytics/demo/chart/new/f9dvm86s

You can create a saved segment of users based on the device type values and use it across all charts by default if that’s what you are looking for.

Hey Saish,

Sorry I was unclear. The use composition chart and segments won’t help because I want to be able to use it on an event level.

Let’s say I want to build a funnel chart and break it down by mobile vs desktop. Currently, I have to make two separate charts, one filtered on the first event for desktop (where Device type = Mac or Windows) and the other filtered on the first event for mobile (where Device type != Mac or Windows).

I would like to be able to create a property group for the Device type property and simply group the first event by that property group instead of making two separate charts.

Does that make sense?

Userlevel 4
Hi Eric,

Thanks for reaching out! Saish made some great points, but here are some possible thoughts on our end as well.

You want to consider creating a property group for the 'Device Type' property to easily differentiate between 'Desktop' and 'Mobile' in your charts. Unfortunately, as per the information available, Amplitude does not support creating property groups for 'Device Type' or 'Device Family' directly.
However, there are a few workarounds you can consider:

- Derived Properties: You can create a derived property using IF or SWITCH cases to group specific 'Device Type' values into 'Desktop' and 'Mobile'. Here's an example of how you can do this:
IF(
OR(
device_type == 'Mac',
device_type == 'Windows'
),
'Desktop',
'Mobile'
)

This will create a new derived property that groups 'Mac' and 'Windows' as 'Desktop' and all other device types as 'Mobile'. You can then use this derived property in your charts. However, this is an option only available to our Enterprise customers and it appear you may be on a growth plan so let me know if you want me to connect you with your account manager to discuss plans.

- Custom User or Event Property: If you have the ability to track the device type on your end, you can instrument a custom user or event property to determine whether users are accessing your product from 'Desktop' or 'Mobile'. This custom property can then be used in your charts.
- Segments: You can create segments for 'Desktop' and 'Mobile' based on the 'Device Type' or 'Device Family' and save these segments for future use. You can then apply these segments to your charts.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Jarren

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.

Hey Jarren, I think a derived property sounds great and would work for my use case, however I don’t see that tab in the Tracking plan → Properties area.

Userlevel 4
Hi Eric,

Apologies for any confusion. I mentioned this in my last response with regards to this Derived Properties availability:

> However, this is an option only available to our Enterprise customers and it appear you may be on a growth plan so let me know if you want me to connect you with your account manager to discuss plans.

Otherwise, the other two recommendations are still valid options in case your team does not want to discuss possible plan upgrades.

Best,
Jarren

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for jumping in, @jarren.patao!