Solved

Conversion rate in Funnel

• 6 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello Community,

I have a question about funnel analysis: The funnel consists of 5 stages. When I analyze the first and the last, the conversion rate is different than when I analyze all of them. I expected that by including all intermediate events, I would see the same result + additionally drop-offs at the intermediate stages.

Tank you in advance,
Pawel

icon

Best answer by dangrainger 6 July 2023, 17:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Pawel Antoniak. Tough to diagnose this without knowing the conditioning of your funnels….what have you got selected in these settings?

Badge

Hi @dangrainger 

Thank you for your message. Here are the details:

For me, seeing different conversion rates for the same funnel with identical settings is quite strange. The conversion rate shown between the first and the last event should be the same, regardless of the number of steps in between.

But I'm open-minded, maybe I'm wrong, I'm curious about your thoughts.

Cheers,
Pawel

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I think you may be misinterpreting the way the funnels work here @Pawel Antoniak. If you have a 2-step funnel, you’ll observe a flow rate from A to B. As soon as you put steps between them, let’s say D E F, the conditioning completely changes in that B will only count if A then D then E then F occurred beforehand….so it’s perfectly understandable that the “overall” conversion rate would be different (i.e. the 2-step funnel doesn’t care what may or may not happen between the steps).

The key here is whether you expect intermediary steps to be mandatory/ truly unavoidable. For example, in your case are all of App_Onboarding_view, Onboarding_undefined and mobileApp_survey_submission mandatory steps in the flow? I’m guessing possibly not, which will completely explain why the 67.1% differs to the 53.1%.

Badge

Hi Danger, I've selected only the events that I deem to be mandatory. We'll need to review event implementation.

Thanks, 🤜🤛
Pawel