Solved

Best practices for distinguishing events from different products?

• 10 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi, I'm working for an edtech company. So far we had only one product that runs across web & mobile. In order to easily filter or segment events that happen in different platforms, we could use the Platform user property built into Amplitude. 

Now we are adding a second product which will launch in web first. I’m now wondering what we should do in order to be able to easily filter and segment events happening in one product. Users on both products will now have ‘Web’ as Platform.

My initial thought was to just use the data source and use that to filter. But I just checked and found that you cannot filter by source when creating a report.

So my question: What best practices do you know for this? How have you solved this problem?

I know adding suffixes to the event names of the new product could be an option, but I’m wondering if there’s a better solution (a naming convention would be great to quickly identify in which product an event occurs, but this would really also require us to retroactively update event names in the existing product – a pain I’d like to avoid if possible). Creating a custom parameter ‘product’ and adding it to all events doesn’t seem like the best idea either. We could create a custom user property ‘product’, but I don’t think it would be useful for the case when users use both products.

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 10 April 2024, 20:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Peter Fessel 

If this is a completely different product than your first one, then ideally its product usage data should be ingested in a separate Amplitude project.

Cross portfolio view feature should be able to help analyze usage across multiple projects if the user’s id remains the same in both your products.
If you prefer to keep both product’s usage in the same project, then you have to add the product_name property ( at the least on the event level ) to be able to distinguish a user’s usage on both the products.

Userlevel 4
Hi Peter,

Thanks for reaching out.

Saish here is correct. If the two products are distinct, it's often best to instrument them in separate projects. This allows for cleaner data and easier debugging, as you can focus on each product's instrumentation individually. However, if understanding user behavior across both platforms is a priority, it might be beneficial to keep the data in one project. This would allow for a more comprehensive view of user actions, regardless of the platform they're using.

Adding a `product_name` property to events is indeed a viable solution if you decide to keep both product's usage data in the same project. This would allow you to distinguish between user interactions on both products. However, it's important to consider the scalability and maintainability of this approach, as well as the potential impact on your key metrics and analyses (https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000465251-Data-planning-playbook#Step-3:-Optimize-your-events-and-properties).

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Jarren

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.