Solved

Benefits of storing first/last date action taken user property?

• 18 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

Was wondering what the potential benefits are for storing a “first/last date action taken” user property.

For example, let’s say I have a search event. Do I need to store a “first search date” and “last search date” user property? What are the benefits of explicitly storing a “first search date” and “last search date” user property?

It feels that just storing a “search submitted” event + auto-generated date is enough for me to perform some good retention analysis. Want to know what I’m missing out on though.

It feels like I’d need local storage and handle this logic in my own app. So want to know the cost/benefit tradeoff.

Thanks!

Dan

icon

Best answer by Esther Trapadoux 20 April 2023, 06:48

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@itsdanwu welcome to the community! 👋 Good question, this partly depends on how you’d want to use this data in the future and the use case you’re solving for. If you want to further analyze cohorts by “first” or “last search dates,” then storing this would come in handy. Or building a cohort to analyze behavior when search started within a first or last date might be interesting. But I suspect there are other events that might be more important to track instead.

Best way to start is to maybe map how these dates map back to a core metric that you’re trying to measure.