Question

User sessions and inactive events

• 27 March 2023
  • 8 replies

When looking at User Sessions, are inactive events ignored by default or should I add the "Any Active Event" filter?

8 replies

Hi @acmcp!

Are you referring to the User Sessions chart? If your Inactive events are sent with session id’s they will not be ignored by default so you would want to use the “Any Active Event” filter. This doc has more info on how we track sessions in case you want to have a look. Let me know any questions on this!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Kyle Wilson, I have the same issue and reading the doc I see that inactive events aren’t supposed to be counted in session length, but I checked and they are:

Additionally, hiddeninactive, and deleted events will not be included in the session length calculation. For example, let's say you have the following series of events:

Event A --> Event B --> Event C --> Event D

If Event C and Event D are hidden, inactive, or deleted in Govern, then the max(client_event_time) is taken from Event B instead of Event D. 

Is it a bug?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks for following up @JoeKDoe and sorry we missed this. I’ll escalate the issue to our support team.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Jeremie Gluckman, looking forward to hearing your answer. I can provide you with examples and screenshots evidencing that inactive events cause session times to be hours instead of minutes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thanks @JoeKDoe The team will get back to you soon! I’m looping in @Esther Trapadoux as well for visibility.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @JoeKDoe hope you’re doing well! And sorry about this late reply. Do you still see inactive events being counted? Do you mind sending a screenshot of your events view? 🙏🏼

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Jeremie Gluckman and @Esther Trapadoux. I sent screenshots to your support showing that a new user has a session time of 4 days (96h) after just 3 weeks because of counting the inactive events.

Sydney form your support team said that inactive events aren’t counted, but that can’t explain how users can have 4 days of session time. Our users are supposed to spend 10mn/week on our product.

So maybe we created the most addicting app in the planet that people use more than Tiktok, IG and Netflix combined. Or maybe there is a genuine problem with session time calculation and inactive events.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@JoeKDoe ah got it, I see Sydney’s reply to you now. 

If you see events connected by a line in the User Profile that does not mean it is part of the session calculation necessarily. It just means you sent the same SessionID values for those events and we will group by that value in the User Profile section. 

Based on the charts Sydney shared back, it looks like the inactive events did not accrue any session time. Do you see something different on your side?

Also happy to take this through DMs if that’s easier.