Skip to main content
Question

Segmentation chart : I would like to know the conditions for New, Resurrected, and Dormant in the lifecycle chart.

• 25 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone! 

I am trying to use the Segmentation chart to view the metrics we use internally as a time series. For this, I need the data for New, Resurrected, and Dormant users from the lifecycle chart. Could you please assist me with how to define the conditions for these three types of users in the Segmentation chart?

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Hi Sangin,

This is Yuanyuan from the Amplitude Support team - happy to assist!

This is how the New, Resurrected, and Dormant users are defined in the lifecycle chart:

- A **new user** (light blue) is one who is new in Amplitude as a whole within one usage interval of whenever they performed the event. Amplitude will count that user as **new** for one full interval after their first event is received. Since our example looks at daily usage, a user will be considered **new** on August 1st if they fired the event and were new to Amplitude on the same day - August 1st.
- A **resurrected user** (dark blue) is a user who logged the specified event in the **current** interval but did **not** log the event in the previous interval (previously inactive). In our example, a user who was new to Amplitude on August 1st, but didn't fire the specified event until August 2nd would be considered a **resurrected** user on August 2nd.
- We also have **dormant users**, represented by the red bar. A dormant user is one who did not log the event you've specified, but who was had logged the specified event during the previous time period (day, week, or month). For example, a user who was active on January 1st but **not** active on January 2nd would be considered a dormant user on January 2nd.

New users can be users who perform 'New User' >= 1 time.

Resurrected user can have conditions 'who perform X event >= 1 in the last 7 days' and 'who perform X event < 1 in the last 7 days, offset by 7 days' (assuming the interval you want is 7 days)

Dormant users can have conditions 'who perform X event < 1 time in the last 7 days' and 'who perform X event >= 1 time in the last 7 days, offer by 7 days'

Best,
Yuanyuan

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.