Solved

How do I create an engagement matrix of "Top Events" but automatically exclude events based on wildcard?

• 14 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We have custom events for click tracking and pageviews which is polluting reports and making certain report types very difficult to use. For example, in the Engagement Matrix report, you can’t do any rules on filters. You can choose individual events manually but then after limited to a certain #.

If I choose any of the automatic “Top Events”, it will include all the click tracking and pageviews. I can de-select them from the chart, but that just hides them from the chart and doesn’t allow it to bring other events in.

What am I missing? Is engagement matrix report just this bare bones that I can’t do what I want?

icon

Best answer by Yosimy.Cortes 21 February 2024, 01:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @trevin-bc 

I’m seeing a weird behavior with Engagement matrix as I look at your case here.

I can confirm that I have existing charts using a filter and group by on “Top Global Events”. But when I try to create a new engagement matrix chart those options are no longer available. I pretty much relied on those filters to separate our frontend page view events vs backend events in the matrix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @trevin-bc @Saish Redkar , 

Yosimy here from the Amplitude Support team! I’ve checked in with our Engineering team and they have confirmed that this is a bug with the filters on the Engagement Matrix chart. They are currently working on resolving this issue! I will reach back out in this post once they have confirmed that the issue is resolved. Thank you for your patience! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @trevin-bc and @Saish Redkar , Thanks for being so patient! The engineering team got back to me and they have resolved this issue. You should now be able to filter on “Top Global Events” in the Engagement Matrix Chart. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if the issue persists. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @trevin-bc and @Saish Redkar , Thanks for being so patient! The engineering team got back to me and they have resolved this issue. You should now be able to filter on “Top Global Events” in the Engagement Matrix Chart. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if the issue persists. 

I just checked this and while the filter option is back there’s no way to filter on event name 😐 

This can’t possibly be by design, can it?

Filtering on anything but event name is super super odd given how many events are rolled up into say “top global events” and it’s unlikely they all share the same properties. 

without ability to filter on event name i still cannot use this report type