Solved

How can I identify what referrers/channels users are using in Amplitude?

• 8 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello everybody.
I want to create a report with the channels. To find out where user sessions come from on my landing page.
For example, in Google Analytics it shows the channels: organic search, display, direct, email, social, paid search, etc.

How can I create a channel chart in Amplitude?

Thank you so much.

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 8 June 2021, 20:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Huber 
Assuming you have a channel/referrer property already instrumented, a simple event segmentation chart using a group by clause on your channel property should help you create the chart you are looking for. 

Here are some Amplitude demo event segmentation charts which use the referrer property-

https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/q4dlifb

https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/fp9mwlb

A user composition chart like this might also help.

You can also lookup the question below for added context on tracking the referrer source

Let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4

Hi @Huber

As @Saish Redkar mentioned, if you have this property instrumented on your end then this should be possible! At the moment, we don’t have a default concept for channel categorization like your example, but if you’ve got an idea of how you’d like to see this within the product— feel free to add it as an Idea within our community!

Otherwise, Saish’s recommendation to segment users by this property or by using a user composition would be a great approach.

Badge

@Saish Redkar@jarren.patao, thank you for your reply.
That's right, I want to implement like those demo examples.

I don't have the channel/referrer property already instrumented.

Question 1.

What procedure or what steps should I follow to implement the channel/referrer property? o What code would I have to implement?

Question 2.

In the demonstration. The Google channel, can it be shown separately? ie organic search channel and display channel (paid ads).

Userlevel 4

@Huber

1. I won’t be able to provide guidance on implementing this from scratch, but something like our JS SDK has the settings configuration option to `includeReferrer`. You can read more about this in our Dev Center: https://developers.amplitude.com/docs/advanced-settings#setting-configuration-options
  2. If you’re expecting a specific value, your dev team should figure out a way to capture who the referrer is for the user and pass in any “channels” that you’re trying to see within your analyses. Channels are not a default concept so this would need to be instrumented, but it is recommended to review what a `referrer` is in this case.
Badge

We are having issues where a majority of our source/medium is showing up as none, and the percentage is not matching up with what we are seeing in Google Analytics. We are using Segment to help implement, any thoughts? Is a 80% “NONE” normal?