Solved

First session analysis for a specific screen during onboarding

• 30 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi, I’d like to do the following analysis for all users who sign up to my app, so only their first session. I already did a funnel analysis until they reach the home of the app. This analysis is focused on this specific screen (home) : 

• average lenght of time on this screen. 
  • most common actions on this screen which lead to subscribe.
  • most common actions on this screen which lead to drop-off.
  • user path (but only for first session).

Thanks in advance ! 

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 1 April 2021, 00:01

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Baisler,

Amplitude does not have any way to look at only a user’s first session automatically. One workaround you can try for your use case is to implement a user property that says when a user is in their first session. Before you implement it please test in a test project and remember that Amplitude is an event-based platform so even user properties are collected and queried on at the time of the event see details here. I would also implement a duration user property to track the time spent on the screen so you can calculate the average using our Event Segmentation Custom Formulas chart.

After you implement that user property you can use our Event Segmentation, Funnel Analysis and Pathfinder chart on only users with first session as their user property! 

Hope this helps let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Sydney

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @basilerohart ,

It might be also useful to explore the historical count feature  alongside the great points @sydney.koh has mentioned above. You can try to use this to analyze the behavior when the user lands on your home screen for the first time ( historical count = 1st ).

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi Baisler,

Amplitude does not have any way to look at only a user’s first session automatically. One workaround you can try for your use case is to implement a user property that says when a user is in their first session. Before you implement it please test in a test project and remember that Amplitude is an event-based platform so even user properties are collected and queried on at the time of the event see details here. I would also implement a duration user property to track the time spent on the screen so you can calculate the average using our Event Segmentation Custom Formulas chart.

After you implement that user property you can use our Event Segmentation, Funnel Analysis and Pathfinder chart on only users with first session as their user property! 

Hope this helps let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Sydney

Thanks for this answer ! Which property would you use to define that this is the first user’s session ? I can only define a specific session with an ID, but I don’t figure out how to define Session Nbr 1 for a cohort. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi!

I wanted to start by saying @Saish Redkar makes a good point as well, however historical count is currently only available for scholarship and paid accounts! For my implementation, you would need to implement a new custom user property that is sent in upon a user’s first session. Once the user returns a second time that property should be changed.

I would talk to your developers to look into solutions to see if this would work for your product. I can give an example of how the flow would look below!

1. A user is new to your product and has visited for the first time. Send in an event with a user property called is_first_session set it to true and send in true for all events in this session.
  2. User returns later in that day and starts a new session upon that new session and with the first event sent in that session send in a false value for the user property is_first_session.

I am not sure all the details of your product but this setup and order would work best to achieve what you want to achieve in Amplitude.

Badge

Hi ! Thanks @Saish Redkar , that’s excatly what I used. The only limitation I see with this is the fact that we need to start from somewhere in a interface point of view. Adding the solution @sydney.koh suggested gives and additional way to analyse the onboarding. I think I can do both solutions to achieve what I was trying to do. 

Let’s get in direct contact so as we can talk with one of our developers !