Question

Difference in uniques / totals between time periods

• 20 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello, I'm trying to calculate the difference in the number of totals between one month and another. I can't seem to find any function that takes the number of events in one month and subtracts it from the number in the previous month to show the difference, indicating whether it's increasing or decreasing.

Is there a formulaic way to perform this type of calculation?

Any help Greatly appreciated 

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Brendan Dunn this is a bit hacky, but how I would approach this in an Amplitude event segmentation chart by defining 2 distinct user segments 

• users who performed the event in July
  • vs users who performed the event in August

And then set the same event in the events section and ensure the chart lookback is set to between 07/01/2023 - 08/31/2023. 

Then in the formulas you can take the TOTALS(A1) where A is the event, and 1 is the first segment minus TOTALS(A2) where 2 is the second segment. 

Here’s a sample chart in the Amplitude demo. I added screenshots below if you’re unable to view. 

Important: You can plot up to six formulas on the same chart, separated by semicolons. And Amplitude allows up to ten segments per chart, so since you need 2 segments per event (July & August), you can calculate the monthly count differences for up to five different events in a single chart.  

Let me know if this helps!