Solved

Creating charts from planned events and parameters?

• 20 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi Amplitude! 

Love the product! I’m trying to build out a good data governance practice so I had all my development done in a separate “development environment” project. There are a few rare events that don’t happen readily in production, but I would still like charts created for them. I’m able to create the chart in dev, but when I try to transfer it to prod, I get the error:

“Heads up.Some events or properties from the previous project do not exist in the new project.”

Then the properties and events I set disappears from the chart I was trying to transfer over making me very sad.

Is there any way to create charts off of planned events/properties? If not, is there any way to transfer these charts over and make it somehow keep these missing properties and have them populated when the events/properties become available?

Thanks!

Jonathan

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 20 March 2023, 20:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Jonathan Chan 

The Project→ Data hierarchy is pretty tight knit in Amplitude.

You can only chart events and properties which are already ingested in a project.

The “Heads up.Some events or properties from the previous project do not exist in the new project.” message is expected when you try to change the chart’s project to another project where those events/properties don’t exist.

You’ll only be able to generate charts in your prod project after those rare events get triggered for the first time in production.

Hope this helps.

Hello amplitude, I want to be able to graph events that are in different projects, is there any way to do this? Since I need to make a single graph where I can measure the behavior of these events, some of which are in a project, and the other events they are in another project
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @David Cadavid 

You can do this via the portfolio view feature - https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002750712. This feature is available to customers on the Growth or Enterprise plan who have purchased the Portfolio add-on.

Hi @Jonathan Chan 

You can only chart events and properties which are already ingested in a project.

The “Heads up.Some events or properties from the previous project do not exist in the new project.” message is expected when you try to change the chart’s project to another project where those events/properties don’t exist.

You’ll only be able to generate charts in your prod project after those rare events get triggered for the first time in production.

Hope this helps.

Is there any plan to change this behavior on the roadmap? I am finding myself logging in as a fake user in production simply to trigger events so that my dashboards will stay in tact when flipping from staging to production.

Badge

Hi @Jonathan Chan 

Hope this helps.

Is there any plan to change this behavior on the roadmap? I am finding myself logging in as a fake user in production simply to trigger events so that my dashboards will stay in tact when flipping from staging to production.

@Saish Redkar we need these changes. This is not acceptable to build your graph in Development and then when you move it to Prod everything disappears. It should just show a blank graph. Can you please respond to ack.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Josh K 

FWIK, events get available for charting in project only when they get ingested. I tried doing a “Planned Event” in Data for a workaround, but that too doesn’t propagate in the chart drop downs till ingestion.

I wish I could influence such changes in Amplitude’s roadmap at the required pace. I can only go as far a submitting them in the ideas section as feature requests.

May someone from Amplitude’s Team can take a look at this

@Esther Trapadoux@Amplitude Admin@Product Team 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Saish Redkar @Josh K thanks for the feedback. I’ve raised it internally with the team as well.