Solved

Create funnel analysis by device-id

• 27 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi there!

Is it possible to use the device id to create funnel analysis?
In our use case, a first customer fires some events then a second customer logs in to the same device. This is being done on mobile (android and iOS)
We would love to be able to understand the funnel of this flow but were only able to aggregate/analyze grouping by user-id.

Is it possible to do this analysis over the device-id?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jarren.patao 14 July 2023, 22:18

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Gian Pennacchi. When you configure your funnel, you should see an option called “holding property constant” (in the new side-by-side UI you’ll find it tucked away in “Advanced” within the “Measured as” section). You can use this to hold Device ID constant in your funnel which I believe should take care of your need.

Dan.

Badge

Hi there, @dangrainger!
I’ve run some tests and using the “holding property constant” does not appear to work when the user id changes.
I’d just like to check: By using the “holding property constant”, even if the user-id changes but this other value does not, I should be able to use the funnel analysis to see a funnel that keeps this value constant?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I don’t see why not. When you “hold constant”, it focusses on the property for which you’ve specified you want the value to remain the same throughout your funnel for a given user (regardless of what other property values are doing).

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

This could perhaps be something to do with your classification of a “user”. Are you passing (on log in) your own customer IDs into Amplitude’s user ID field? If so, the two logins will count as two users. I can’t remember if the device ID persists with the same value across the 2 logins, but even if it does I’ve a feeling that the “holding constant” may not work for you here after all given that by setting the user ID you’re specifically counting 2 users distinctly.

If that’s the case, I’m out of ideas so perhaps someone at Amplitude has a solution…!

Badge

Yeah! Our use case is actually using our user id (so we set it on the SDK) and also our own device-id field (our-device-id).
My guess is it doesn’t work since we actually changing users.

Thanks for the help! I’ll wait and see if anyone from Amplitude has some tip or idea of how to deal with this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Gian Pennacchi welcome to the community! And apologies for the late reply (the team is getting through the backlog). I’ve raised this with our internal team and they should reach out to you shortly!

Badge

Thanks, @Esther Trapadoux !
Does the team have an ETA for tackling this question?
I’ve received an email with a ticket number but was assuming it would be answered in this thread, is my assumption correct?

Userlevel 4

Hi @Gian Pennacchi, sorry for any confusion. Esther had created a support ticket which should have been sent to your Amplitude email where I had responded. In that ticket I responded with:

When observing a Funnel Analysis holding a property constant, this will qualify users who have completed the first event and subsequent events while maintaining the same user/property combinations so this will query users with the same user/device_id property combinations. Since this is the case, we won't necessarily be able to qualify users across different identities within these types of Funnels. 

You can read more about holding constants in our help center: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053338671-Interpret-your-funnel-analysis#heading-4 

Otherwise, since it is not possible to achieve what you are looking for at this time we encourage you to submit a feature request via the Amplitude widget at the bottom right corner on the UI > Give Feedback (please see attached screenshot).