Solved

Cohort of users who share the same user property

• 14 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I’m trying to create a cohort of users who share the same user property without having to specify the actual value of the user property.

For example - A user property may be a hashed value of a user’s address. I’d like to create a cohort of users who share the same address as at least one other user. 

Is this doable within Amplitude Cohorts ? Appreciate any help on this. 

Thank you 

icon

Best answer by timothy-permutable 18 April 2023, 13:16

View original

8 replies

Badge +10

Interesting use case! I don’t think you can do this, without going through each property value individually (which I’m sure you don’t want to do).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Timothy, Right. Segmentation gives me the table I’m looking for, but unfortunately, I can’t seem to translate that into a cohort. 

Thanks for looking into this - much appreciated. 

Badge +10

perhaps you can download the segmentation table and upload it as as cohort? I know that’s a bit manual, but might be an OK workaround.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, that could be a workaround. For our use-case, we need to know if the user has entered the cohort in closer to realtime, so it isn’t ideal

Badge +10

I don’t know if it helps, but you can create a chart that counts the difference between counts of unique property values and unique users. So monitoring that would tell you when your case occurs, but not for which user.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @timothy-permutable That may help. How would I create a chart like that ?

Badge +10

Create a segmentation chart, choose custom formula, then do the difference of uniques and propcount. You’ll need to group the event by the property that you want to count.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @timothy-permutable Appreciate it