Solved

Calculating the conversion of part of a funnel A>B>C>D

• 12 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone!

I have a funnel that’s based on page views and the first page A is very frequent and a beginning of many funnels. The page B is actually the beginning of the (sub)funnel I’m interested in.

I’m interested in calculating the conversion of the funnel A-B-C-D, but only of the steps B-C-D

Is there am easy way to calculate that in Amplitude except the manual way where I setup the funnel A-B-C-D and then manually divide the D / B?

Best regards

Luka

icon

Best answer by timothy-permutable 13 October 2022, 10:23

View original

3 replies

Badge +10

Hi Luka!

Do you really need “A”? If not just drop it. Otherwise, I don’t think you can do exactly what you want, but I have a few different hacks that might suit you:

• option 1: in the middle panel, choose “broken down by” step 2, then choose a property that will be the same for all users in your project (e.g. library often works for this). step A->B of the funnel is effectively excluded.
  • option 2: drop “A” and put it in the user segment (performed A). check if that’s similar to the manual calculation, often it will be.
  • option 3: drop “C”, change to conversion over time, and then choose to show “B” to “D” instead on “the entire funnel”.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Thank you, @timothy-permutable! 😀

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you @timothy-permutable 

1. The workarounds you suggest are really helpful, but the solution we’re looking for is one that allows you to view the conversion number on the dashboard or notebook :/

The broken by step 2 could work, but although I use a prop that’s present in all the events and has the same value I still get double bar and double conversion rate:
  1. The option 2 with the user segment is a bit unreliable because a user might have visited the page A in the last 30 days, but has started the funnel 10 days after that and they’d be counted in the conversion. Also, the cohort is fixed to has performed the event in the las X days and then the funnel also has to be fixed to that same time frame :(
  2. Another great idea, but we cannot drop C. Due to our app design a user can get to the step D skipping the B or C so in our funnel conversion we have to be sure that a user did D and right before that C too :(

Again, thank you very much. I think we’ll go with the option 1 for now and hope this turns into a feature request:

As a user sometimes I want to know the conversion of a certain steps of the funnel that are in the middle or in the end and have that number available in the dashboards. A possible solution could be A) Allow custom formula for the conversion calculation where a user manually introduces: Event B / Event D OR B) A dropdown in the Total conversion on the dashboard where they have more options apart from: Total Conversion, Largest Drop-Off Step, Slowest Conversion Step

Best regards

Luka