Solved

Sum up an event property for “start events” without an “end event”

Badge

For example i got a “start event” with an event property of “count”. I want to sum up the “count” property for users where no “end event” has happened yet.

Thanks for the help!

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 17 January 2023, 01:15

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @alex.s 

Here’s a sample chart which tries to replicate your use case -

https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/ony38k9

This gives the daily property sum on the event charted for last 30 days for users who didn’t perform a certain event. Switching to the bar chart view will aggregate the sum over the time frame if needed.

Let me know if I have the correct interpretation of your use case. Hope this helps.

Badge

Thank you for your help Saish!

It helps me a little bit, we have following use case: people come online and go offline the come online event contains an events property which we need to sum up. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @alex.s ,

I would agree with Saish that this would be the best option for you. The sum of the property value “count” on that event. Does it not suit? If so, why not? Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Denis

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @alex.s 
Can you elaborate a bit more on the use case if the property sum approach isn’t working?

Badge

Hello Guys,

basically we not only have one positive one negative event so to speak. We have a number of positive and a number of negative events. And if the positie events are one more then the sum should be made.

KInd regards,

Alex

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Sorry @alex.s , I am stil not entirely sure what you mean. Can you show me some charts to illustrate what you mean? What events exactly? How would you like the sum of the property to behave versus how it is right now? 

Badge

Hello Denis, we currently have not yet implemented it.

The use case is as follows: We have streams that come online and go offline. When a stream is coming online we have the viewer count as event property.

Now we wanna have the sum of viewers of all streams that are currently online.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @alex.s ,

I think for that case it would be best looking at a smaller granularity such as hour but since it is an events-based platform, it would be difficult to report on real-time usage analytics. You could look at the viewer event and then group by the viewing channel name, and then do prop sum. This would give the current viewers for each channel in the last day or hour, perhaps. You can also look at just today, Last 0 days, and do a sum of all online event viewers. Would either of those solutions work? 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

Hey Denis,

thank you, that should do the job :)

Kind Regards,
Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Denis Holmes  🙌🏻 🙌🏻