Solved

Struggling with funnels

• 13 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

We have created all of our events for tracking our onboarding funnel, however when I build the funnel analysis - it does not want to work. I have 6 stages, and I know they have all been completed, but only the first event is filling up. If I remove the first 2 events, the rest start filling up, but I don’t know why that would be!

Please help

James

icon

Best answer by Azu_Saucedo 13 June 2023, 15:55

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi James!

I believe more info is needed regarding how you have built your funnel but I can offer you a few suggestions based on when this has happened to me:

1. Check that you are in the right project - if you have multiple ones
  2. Check how your funnel is created (this order vs exact order)
  3. Check your dates for the chart and, if you have created segments, the dates of your segments. There have been times when I have selected say Jan-Mar in the chart but my segment specified an action performed during the last 30 days, meaning no new users would have shown in the chart
  4. If none of the above have obvious changes, then using the event explorer or the extension explorer as you perform all the actions in the funnel yourself would be the best way to identify if the funnel you created matches the exact steps that you triggered (you can also use the user lookup tool to see user details additional to the events and properties)
    • An example of an error I had in my funnel before was that I used the ‘exact order’ showing me the pages a user would see and forgot that there are certain interactions such as CTAs that are triggered (and needed for navigation) and caused the second and on steps in my funnel to be zero
    • Another example is for the purchase funnel where I had only tested one method of payment whereas we offer express checkout where a user skips one of the steps and that would have meant they wouldn’t be considered in the last step even when they did trigger it - A funnel restricts it to whoever did this event that also did the prior one. To be able to identify this, I had to create a pathfinder chart where my starting event was that first step in my funnel so I could see what else was going on for all my users.

Good luck! :)