Solved

How to create the cohort for customers who are new to a page?

• 25 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hey Amplitude Team,

I have a question regarding customers who are new to a specific page. I understand that currently there is a user property `New User` capturing whether a user who triggered the event on Amplitude for the first time, but what feature could I use to identify the `New User` who previous have interactions on other page but is totally new to a specific page?

Thanks, 

icon

Best answer by timothy-permutable 25 October 2022, 14:54

View original

5 replies

Badge +10

If you have access to it on your plan you should use “historical count” https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040957432

Badge

Thank you @timothy-permutable, I went through the doc and am able to apply the `historical count`.

I understand that for the chart I created below, if I set the time to Sep 21st to Oct 1st, so even customers first view the home screen on Aug 1, then view the home screen on Sep 21 on the second time, the chart will still count this user as a first interaction on Sep 21. Do I understand it correctly? 

Is there any way I can look at the new vs returning users without the time constraint? and when I look at specific day, it can show the true count for new users?

Badge

@timothy-permutable  in addition to my question above, I also noticed that if I include the `historical count` >=2 to show the returning users, this number combined with the new user count don’t add up to the total user for the page view. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @kellyromez1988 ,

Generally speaking, Historical Count can tell you if it's a user's first time firing a specified event, or their fifth. But there are some constraints to be aware of here. Amplitude's definition of "Nth time" is itself time-limited, to include a period of up to one year before the beginning of the date range of your analysis. You can read about that here in the documentation. So it will not be in that specific time period, but up to one year from the start date of the time range. 

Is there any way I can look at the new vs returning users without the time constraint? and when I look at specific day, it can show the true count for new users?

Amplitude has a “New users” function that will consider users who are registering events for the first time ever within their first calendar day. If you look at “New User” event in event segmentation, you can see the new users for each day.  You could look into possibly attaching a custom user property such as is_new=True and then add that to the clause. 

I also noticed that if I include the `historical count` >=2 to show the returning users, this number combined with the new user count don’t add up to the total user for the page view. 

Can you show me the chart(s) URL(s) you are referring to? I appreciate the screenshot but can you let me know which specific numbers don’t match, what did you expect versus what do you see? The more specific, the better. 

Kind Regards,
Denis

Badge

Hi @Denis Holmes  thank you for your reply. my goal here is to create a view to monitor the new vs. returning users specifically to a page.

• I used the `New Users` property in the segment chart, my understanding is that the time of when the user is new is the time of when they triggered their earliest event, so it doesn’t necessary mean that they are new to the specific page.  So `New Users` won’t give me what I want.
  • Based on @timothy-permutable’s recommendation, I tried to use `historical count`. thank you for explaining the time period constraints, now it makes sense for the number i am seeing

So in this case, if my team want to know the new vs returning users for a product page in a specific time period I set on the chart (Let’s say oct 1 to Oct 7), which chart/property could I use?