Solved

How can I normalize an event segmentation chart by the size of each user segment?

• 17 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have a number of mutually-exclusive user segments and I’m trying to compare how often they take a particular action, but the user segments are all very different sizes, so I want to normalize the chart by the size of the segment so I can make per-capita comparisons. I thought custom formulas might let me use the size of the user segment but I can’t seem to figure out how to do that. Is there a workaround for this?

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 17 August 2021, 22:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @irondavy 
Based on what I understand, the custom formula in this chart might help you in getting started.

Depending on how you want the size of the segment to be represented, you can use UNIQUES vs TOTALS and adjust the normalizing parameters as per the math.

Let me know if I have interpreted your use case correctly. Hope this helps!

Badge

Thank you so much for replying! If I understand this correctly, the 10, 15, 20 values are manually-applied weights. I would prefer a solution that doesn’t require me to manually set these weights, but this is much better than nothing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yup.Those are manual inputs. I don’t think custom formulas currently support dynamic inputs, except for some formulas which can leverage some event property values.

You can refer to Sydney’s reply on this post here for some added context on dynamic values in custom formulas.

If you think this is something valuable for your team, you can submit this as a feature request over here. :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello @irondavy,

As @Saish Redkar has mentioned there is currently no way to dynamically get the size of the segment on the right module. You will need to manually add the numbers to the formula.

You can get the size of the segment using a uniques chart: https://analytics.amplitude.com/demo/chart/new/rm7l1b5. For example, we can see that in the last 30 days there have been 29,129 unique users in Singapore at the time of writing. However, you will need to manually be checking the size as time progresses.

Badge

Thanks for the help both of you, this got me on my way! :)