Solved

Why can't I see the details for invalid events?

• 9 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

This question was asked before, but not properly answered.

I set up my project’s tracking plan and implemented the event tracking in our code base. In theory, this should ensure that there are no invalid events (i.e. events being sent that don’t match the tracking plan).

However, this does not appear to be the case. Many of my events are being marked as invalid and I have no idea why. Is there a way to look specifically at events that have been marked invalid so I can debug the issue causing them to be marked as such and remedy it?

I’m thinking of something like the “User Look-Up” tab with the event stream where I can see events and their associated users as they come in. I can then click on a user and view the specifics of each of their events. What I want is to have this exact view of individual events but for events marked invalid, so I can see what is wrong and fix it.

icon

Best answer by eddie.gaona 11 March 2023, 00:41

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@josh Share screenshot? When you hover over the invalid icon, a popup with more details should appear.

Badge

Hi @ttan, thank you for your response. I have included a screenshot as requested.

It says some property is invalid, but doesn’t say which or why. I can see lots of historical data on android that is invalid – but why?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@josh I noticed how “notificationType” is a required property. It can mean that some of your events sent from Android is missing this property. 

Can you please try creating a Segmentation chart for “Notification Received”, filtered by “Platform = Android”, and then grouped by “notificationType”?

Badge

@ttan here is a screenshot of the result. I’m seeing perfectly valid data here; each of the 4 types on this graph are expected. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@josh How about the “showToUser” property? Are there some values that are potentially not boolean?

Regardless, I see how these error messages are not detailed enough and will be submitting a feature request on this. Data is one of our newer features, and the team is still making improvements to it. Appreciate your patience and feedback!

Badge

@ttan showToUser data also looks normal, and this is a newer property so I’m more confident that it has been implemented correctly (sending booleans). The data seems to reflect boolean values here as well.

Thank you for your patience and assistance as well; I’m excited to see how the Data feature improves! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Jumping in here @josh. We’ll make sure our support team is alerted so that they can take a closer look at your setup. We’re here to help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello, happy to submit product feedback on your behalf.

The documentation on invalid can be found: https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/5078870942363#view-and-update-your-event-statuses.