Skip to main content

Hi everyone

I use GTM as the tool to setup the init and identification tags

I’ve successfully identified the group “Corp ID” but unable to track group properties even if I set through this tag:

I asked the AI bot in the help center and it said “Currently, the Amplitude GTM (Google Tag Manager) template does not support the group identify call which is used to set group properties. ”

But in the GTM’s doc it clearly includes the “Set” call

I noticed that in the Set Group Properties tag, the label for setting is “User” property. Does this mean it actually not support setting up a “Group” property?

I hope someone can tell me how do I set up and see the group properties:

Additional question:

How do I ensure the group is identified?

I’m struggling making both setGroup and GroupIdentify tag work perfectly

The trigger: All Page View + All Click

I tried the advanced setting of making it fire before the event tracking code, but it didn’t work

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for writing in. Happy to help!

1. A group can be defined at either the event level or user level.

- An event-level group is one that only incorporates specific events in the users' overall journey. Users aren't affected by the events, meaning future events triggered by the users are not added to the group, unless explicitly assigned.
- By contrast, membership in a user-level group is independent of specific events. After users are assigned to the group, they remain in it for all future events.
More details about the differences between event-level and user-level groups can be found at the link below.
https://amplitude.com/docs/analytics/account-level-reporting#event-level-vs-user-level-group-definitions

a. To set an event-level group, you can use the Track Event (track) tag in the GTM template and select 'Track with groups'.
b. To set a user-level group, you can use the Set Group (setGroup) tag. This method will assign users to a specific group.

2. Regarding group properties, you can use the Set Group Property (groupIdentify) tag. Based on the screenshot of your GTM tag configuration, I belive you are using the correct tag.

To investigate why group properties are not set correctly, could you please provide the following information?

1. Your Amplitude project name
2. The version of your GTM template (you can find the version under the Template Editor > Template Gallery info section)

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Thao

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.

Hi @Thao Nguyen 

I’m trying to create an user-level group “Corp ID” which allows me to track the engagement of companies

• My Amplitude Project Name: “Jodoo - app.jodoo.com”
  • The version of your GTM template: 5e481

Thanks for your help!

For the additional question in the comment

I figured out only when a session is ended will the corp_id be identified

Can you confirm whether this is correct?

Additional question:

How do I ensure the group is identified?

I’m struggling making both setGroup and GroupIdentify tag work perfectly

The trigger: All Page View + All Click

I tried the advanced setting of making it fire before the event tracking code, but it didn’t work

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information! I am looking further into this issue and will get back to you with updates.

Best regards,
Thao

Hi Daniel,

> I figured out only when a session is ended will the corp_id be identified
>
> Can you confirm whether this is correct?

I had a look at some users in the 'Jodoo - app.jodoo.com' project. I can confirm that users are assigned to a group via the setGroup tag.

The linkage occurs between the Start Session and Page View events, so users are not assigned to a group only when a session is ended

Here is a screenshot of an example user. I have redacted some raw data since this is a public Community post.

![](https://amplitude.zendesk.com/attachments/token/Rk479XgIwoYo0azMaPc2AEICE/?name=Screenshot+2024-09-20+at+5.29.19%E2%80%AFPM.png)

As for why group properties are not tracked, please allow me to check further with our Engineering team. I'll let you know once we have an update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,
Thao

Hi Daniel,

Our Engineering team is currently looking into this issue. We would like to validate if the `$groupIdentify` is being fired correctly in the Event Explorer.

Could you please provide the steps you're following to fire the group property on your website?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Thao

Hi Daniel,

Our Engineering team is currently looking into this issue. We would like to validate if the `$groupIdentify` is being fired correctly in the Event Explorer.

Could you please provide the steps you're following to fire the group property on your website?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Thao

Hi @Thao Nguyen 

I set triggers for the “groupIdentify” tag as “All Page Views” and “Click - All Elements” in GTM

Therefore, the sequence for firing all Amplitude tags I installed should be:

1. Amplitude Session Replay tag - Initialization
  2. Amplitude Init tag - Initialization
  3. setGroup, setUserId, groupIdentify, identify tags - Container loaded
  4. Amplitude event, setGroup, setUserId, groupIdentify, identify tags - based on the triggers set

The way I check for the raw event is simply go to a user’s profile (in this case I’m checking my own profile), select an event I just triggered, and check the “raw” view. Right now only Corp ID is identified as a group property, while I set a bunch of as you can see in the first image I added to this thread.

Hope this is what you are asking for. If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the information about your GTM setup! It is very helpful.

Could you please also provide a link to your website and the steps a user would need to take to get assigned to a group and trigger group properties? I would like to fire some events to see if the $identifyGroup is captured on our instrumentation explorer.

If the steps to fire the groupIdentify tag involves sensitive information (such as user login), please feel free to let me know and I'll create a new ticket outside of this community post to gather the information from you.

Looking forward to your response!

Best regards,
Thao

Could you please also provide a link to your website 

Hi @Thao Nguyen 

You can visit Jodoo’s website and register for a free account

I install Amplitude under the subdomain - app.jodoo.com, but excluding some public pages like register and login page

As for

the steps a user would need to take to get assigned to a group and trigger group properties? I would like to fire some events to see if the $identifyGroup is captured on our instrumentation explorer.

I mentioned it earlier:

I set triggers for the “groupIdentify” tag as “All Page Views” and “Click - All Elements” in GTM

You should be able to see whether the Amplitude] Page View includes the group properties

But if you are looking for a specific event I set up, you can check:

• visit_template_center - Which is a page view event if you visit “https://app.jodoo.com/hc/center
  • new_app - an event triggered if you the click the “+ New App” button in your workspace
    Jodoo’s Workspace

hope this help

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for sharing the details!

I have fired some events and now am checking with our Engineering team on this issue. I'll keep you updated with any findings or progress.

Best regards,
Thao

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

I understand that our Growth team has been in touch with you about this issue. For the benefit of other Community users, I’d like to provide an update here as well. Our Engineering team identified a bug with the $groupIdentify call that caused group properties to not fire correctly.

This bug has been resolved in the latest GTM template version, 7144f. To fix the issue, please upgrade to this version, and the $groupIdentify call should function as expected.

Regarding the incorrect information provided by the AI bot, I will reach out to our Support Manager to ensure it is corrected.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

Best regards,
Thao

Hi @Thao Nguyen Thanks for the help, I think it works fine now

just one feedback on the template’s copy

It’d be more making sense to me if the User Property here called “Group” Property

Furthermore, I also want to know whether the setup of triggering GroupIdentify on every page view and click is suggested? Or there is another proper way to trigger it?

Hi @Daniel at Jodoo,

You are welcome! I appreciate your feedback. I have created a task to our Engineering team to consider updating “User Property” to “Group Property” to avoid confusion.

As for when to trigger the “groupIdentify” tag, I suggest it should be based on your user journeys. It may not be necessary to trigger it on every page view; instead, it should fire when a user is assigned to a group. For instance, this could occur when they click “Join” to join a group or when they upgrade to a paid subscription.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Best regards,

Thao