Google Tag Manager Amplitude Tag Template

• 8 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey Everyone:

I would love to hear any lesson’s learned or “aha” moments they have experienced with the Google Tag Manager Tag Template. Please feel free to add them to this convo to help others going through this migration of GA Tags to the Amplitude Tag Template😁

Here is my Aha:

My “aha” was flexibility to create my own Custom Marketing Interaction events where an event is fired anytime a URL with UTMS was loaded. This would allow me to help metric marketing touch-points and understand how customers are coming to my site beyond standard traffic reporting.

-Robbie

2 replies

Badge +1

Hi @r0bbieWa11ace 

Thanks for asking 😉 - i have some observations . 

1: I can’t find any dedicated documentation for this GTM template. The links in the tag leads to the overall SDK documentation - it’s still possible to get it to work, but requires a little more “reading between the lines”. https://www.docs.developers.amplitude.com/data/sdks/marketing-analytics-browser/

2: I miss (or cant find) a way to include variables to add to all track events. Maybe not possible but something i would wish where possible.

3: As mentioned in this post (GTM Template Source), there is currently a issue in assigning a source to the event from the new GTM Template, as they are seen as “unknown”. But data still comes to Amplitude and can be used.

When I start working more in details with the tracking and the data im sure more “positive aha” moments can be added. But for now it have mainly been “first try aha’s”. 

Badge

Hi @r0bbieWa11ace!
Glad you asked :)

I can’t find a user property option with Tag Type = track. Am I missing something or “it’s a feature”? :) According to HTTP API v2 we can use set user properties, and it’s quite handy, actually. No need to set up another tag with Tag Sequencing, or messing with a trigger race via “tag firing priority”.

I mean this:

User property is sent with an event: For events sent via Amplitude's HTTP API, you can include user properties with the server-side call. The updated user property value is reflected in the UI as soon as the event is received by Amplitude; the user property table is also updated once the event is ingested. Future events will have the updated user property value until the value in the user property table is updated again.
Amplitude Docs

How can I achieve this using a new Tag Template?

Thank you in advance!