I try to filter out my internal users with the domain, with a condition like “domain is not claap”.
When I do a segment “domain is claap”, the segment is correctly filtered to list all my claap internal users.
However, when I do the segment “domain is not claap”, some of the suers with a claap domain (not all of them) are not correctly filtered out. Note that I also tried all variants “does not contain”, and so on…
This pb also appears when I filter on the email directly.
I tried to investigate on the root cause (either our instrumentation or the way Amplitude works), but I can’t understand why the filter works to include but not to exclude.
For instance the screenshot below illustrates this with a specific user. I would expect segment 2 to return 559 users and not 560 (ie all users).
Am I missing something?
Thanks for your help!
Best answer by Denis Holmes
The reason you are seeing users in the chart was because Amplitude is an events-based platform, which means that events are logged with event properties and the user properties present at the time the event was fired. In your chart, users were showing up because we are looking for users who performed Any Event with their email not equal to the users email in the screenshot at the time of the event. So it would seem that there are users in this range who are performing some event where they didn’t have this email at that time but may have had it elsewhere, causing them to appear . Some more information on the tracking of events and properties can be found here. I would also suggest for you to view this article here which explains glob matching and its use.
I hope this explains your situation! If not, feel free to message me with your chart link, email you use for Amplitude and the Organization and I will look into it for you. Thanks!