Solved

Restrict Access on Custom Events

• 19 July 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a query on access on custom events.
In my org, We have user's creating a bunch of custom events for their own use cases.
Among them, I want a few custom events to be gold standard, and to be used by many people. Especially, I want only select people to be able to edit the definition of those custom events, and rest of the users should still be able to create their own custom events.

So in simple terms, I want user A to be able to create a custom event, but not edit a specific Custom Event. Is that possible in Amplitude somehow??

icon

Best answer by Saish Redkar 19 July 2023, 20:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Rahul Gautam 

Amplitude doesn’t do that great of a job yet on artifact level permissions on a granular level.

Only users who are admins/ managers/ members can create ( and edit ) custom events. So either a user gets full create/edit permissions for custom events or none at all.

Looks like the go-to option is to give those users the Viewer role access as per this table, which means they’ll be restricted in both creation/editing of custom events from what I understand.

It’d be interesting to see if the Viewer role user is still able to see the Create option on the event segmentation chart.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

That’s a great suggestion @Saish Redkar on downgrading select few user access roles

One suggestion on setting some custom events as a “gold standard” could be to introduce a naming convention. Consider prefixing with an * or [Official] and then include in the custom event description: Do not update, or Reach out to #xyz slack channel for questions if you have an internal Amplitude / Data Governance slack channel for company-wide collaboration

Additional side note: Amplitude does have on the backlog to implement “official content” stickers for assets such as custom events. If you’d like to nudge this further along, I strongly encourage you to submit this feedback directly in the product UI via the following navigation:

As for the co-owner functionality, similar to what’s available in chart co-owners today, that’s really great feedback. If you can submit this on behalf of your company, it’ll help prioritize the ask for our product teams