Skip to main content
Question

How to split shared properties

• 10 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I have a few events which have the same property name but each have different values sent to the same property name. I want to rename the property to be less generic. Is there a way to split the values of a share property name? 

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hello Alice,

Thanks for writing to Support. Happy to help!

Is there any way you could provide a more detailed example of what you mean by 'split the values of a shared property name'? It would help if I could reference an example of exactly what you mean so we can discuss what options are available.

At the moment, I interpret 'split the values of a shared property name' as a group by which is a filter that can be applied on charts to see the break out of values for a particular property on a particular event type. Here is an example of a group by: https://app.amplitude.com/analytics/demo/chart/new/jq4a0mm8. In the chart, you can see that the results are broken out by the various values for the Genre_Type property (e.g. Genre_Type= Rock; Genre_Type= Pop; Genre_Type= Country; etc.)

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Best,

Jacenda

P.S. Checkout upcoming events and user meetups on our events page.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hello Alice,

Thanks for elaborating on your use case! At this time it's not possible to rename a property for only a specific event type and this would be considered a feature request. I have gone ahead and submitted the details you shared to our Product Team on your behalf. You can keep up to date with new feature releases in the Amplitude Community.

The best solution for your use case would be to consider having separate properties for each event to avoid confusion. For example, instead of having a property called `Type` that could represent a type of an item in one event and a type of payment in another, consider having separate properties: `Item Type` and `Payment Type.`

I hope this helps to clarify! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Jacenda

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hello Alice,

I understand your need to update the historical data in Amplitude. However, due to the way our system is designed, data once ingested is immutable and cannot be changed retroactively. This includes renaming an event property for a specific event.

While we do have a feature called Transformations, it's important to note that it doesn't allow renaming an event property for only one specific event. The transformation applies to the property across all events.

All the above said, I have submitted the feature request on your behalf so that your use case is documented. Going forward, you can keep up to date with new feature releases in the Amplitude Community.

We appreciate your understanding and patience. If you have any other questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask.

Best,
Jacenda